Egg Eating Cure?

Keep it or Give it

• Keep

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Give

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
From what I've read, layer feed should only be fed to hens who are laying. The feed itself is nothing more than a 16% protein feed with extra calcium for egg production. As I understand it, if the calcium doesn't go to making eggshells, it doesn't filter out easily and can cause kidney stones. If anything, growing chicks should never get layer feed. It can interfere with proper growth.

There are those who feed layer to the whole flock and say they have no issue. Many have said their roosters do just fine on layer pellets but most I've seen, the flock also free ranges. Since I am unable to free range my flock due to predators, I won't bother feeding layer at all. I have 16 pullets and 2 roos. My feed store has a 20% protein pellet called Rock-N-Rooster that I feed. When they're old enough to lay, I'll just offer oyster shell. They also get scratch, veggie scraps and grass clippings, at least until I get my fodder system up and running.

You seemed surprised that I mentioned changing the food so I did some extra research before posting. I hate to give bad advice, especially when there are so many differing opinions. I don't want to tell anyone they're doing it wrong when I'm an amateur myself. What I found was various opinions based on health of the birds and convenience of feeding a mixed flock. I did find that a molting bird needs more protein to regrow the feathers and a little extra fat for the oil gland.

As far as how long this will last, the best answer I can find is, it takes as long as it takes. I've seen it mentioned to last as little as 3 weeks and as long as 6 months. Some drop most of their feathers at once and some drop and replace a few feathers at a time. Laying is sporadic and sometimes non-existent during this time. I wonder if offering the high protein feed and treats can help speed it up.

Hope this helps.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/922469/grower-or-layer-feed-for-mixed-age-flock

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/33460/feeding-roosters

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/229165/can-rooster-eat-layer-food

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/93527/how-long-do-chickens-molt

I am having trouble with molting hens and decrease in egg production. My hens are around 18 months. I have two americaunas who have been losing neck feathers for the last 6 months! The other hens are a mix I cannot remember and are not molting. Out of these 5 hens I am getting one to three eggs a day! I use to get 5 every day.
On two occasions I have seen a broken egg shells. One egg shell was so thin it broke when I picked it up. I am assuming they may be breaking them.

I do alternate layer feed with all flock and I use oyster shell. Then I was wondering if I was giving them too many treats! I cut back on table scrapes and use scratch and meal worms occasionally. I am getting frustrated. Yesterday only one americauna egg!

I don't know what else to do.

Now we are heading to shorter days and that is a problem too!

I had one chicken eat the very first egg that she laid. I believe what happened is she laid it in the rocks and it cracked. I have not had an eaten egg since.

You seemed surprised that I mentioned changing the food so I did some extra research before posting. I hate to give bad advice, especially when there are so many differing opinions. I don't want to tell anyone they're doing it wrong when I'm an amateur myself. What I found was various opinions based on health of the birds and convenience of feeding a mixed flock. I did find that a molting bird needs more protein to regrow the feathers and a little extra fat for the oil gland.

As far as how long this will last, the best answer I can find is, it takes as long as it takes. I've seen it mentioned to last as little as 3 weeks and as long as 6 months. Some drop most of their feathers at once and some drop and replace a few feathers at a time. Laying is sporadic and sometimes non-existent during this time. I wonder if offering the high protein feed and treats can help speed it up.
Thanks so much Nupe for all the research, it is greatly appreciated.

I am having trouble with molting hens and decrease in egg production. My hens are around 18 months. I have two americaunas who have been losing neck feathers for the last 6 months! Out of these 5 hens I am getting one to three eggs a day! I use to get 5 every day.

I do alternate layer feed with all flock and I use oyster shell.
Wow! that sounds just like me, I have only five hens (wanting more) and only getting 1-2 eggs daily... sometimes 3 if I am lucky. So oyster shells seem to be the preferred calcium choice, I'll have to get my mom to buy some.

Does anyone have any examples of High protein good for chickens?

Thanks so much,

BunnyLover44

Boiled eggs
yogurt
cottage cheese
cooked beans

I usually go with the eggs or yogurt because I normally have them handy. There are some varied opinions on feeding catfood but I stay away from feeding them meat.

Horible news.

A dog attacked one of my 5 chickens this morning!!!!!!! The chicken died about 6 hours ago.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Thankfully the other four escaped including the molting one.

BunnyLover44
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom