Egg-eating

lau.gif
this is very good idea.
thumbsup.gif
I will have to try this sometime. if I leave an egg out in the pen too long, they will try to eat it.

Here are some of my egg eating bird experiences. I filled eggs with detergent and they ate that, probably got high somehow. I filled eggs with mustard and they liked it but requested honey Dijon. So next I filled up with hot sauce and habenero, well that was wonderful. Fake eggs were rolled out of the way and on it went. I made a nesting box that rolled the eggs away but they stopped using it.and layed on the floor. In the end it was stress caused by a rooster that was always raising the alarm over anything, culled him and it got better. Thin shells are another thing, I use a layer mix and had oyster shell available. When molt is done I plan to add oyster shell in with the food

I have an egg eater so today I set up my trail cam in front of the nest boxes. I suspected it was my RIR and, or my BSL because they kept checking out the nest boxes and even going into occupied nest boxes. Well I was right after going thru 240 pictures I found the culprits. I have separated them from the rest of the flock and hope I don't have anymore problems. I will try to break them with mustard eggs and if that doesn't work freezer camp for them. I feed my chickens layer mash they have free access to oyster shells and ground up egg shells. I have golf balls in my nest boxes and have a good sized coop with a big run so I think I have done all I can do to prevent it.

I have an egg eater so today I set up my trail cam in front of the nest boxes. I suspected it was my RIR and, or my BSL because they kept checking out the nest boxes and even going into occupied nest boxes. Well I was right after going thru 240 pictures I found the culprits. I have separated them from the rest of the flock and hope I don't have anymore problems. I will try to break them with mustard eggs and if that doesn't work freezer camp for them. I feed my chickens layer mash they have free access to oyster shells and ground up egg shells. I have golf balls in my nest boxes and have a good sized coop with a big run so I think I have done all I can do to prevent it.

good for you coming down on a case and instantly finding the criminals! hahah

definitely come down to introducing the mustard egg. accurate coutcomes all the time! good luck!

I went to collect my eggs this morning and found egg shells and then subsequently dropped an egg on the coop floor and the girls came running to pick at it. I'm wondering if this means they are going to eat all my eggs or could it be an isolated incident?

do you have any fake eggs put them in there eventually they will get tired
or you can mustard in there to make them stop. just put it in the fake egg
I tried the mustard route! It seemed to have worked out perfectly! I also fixed a problem where one of my barred rocks butt is just too dang big for the nesting box so it hangs over the edge as she lays and PLOP it goes to the ground bursting open instantly! I angled a "catch" so to speak and now no more eggs on the ground! Great advice and ideas here! Thanks all
1f604.png

I think I stopped my egg eating I put the 2 suspected egg eaters in a brooder for a couple of days and then put them in my bigger coop where the nest boxes are a little higher so they can't see in them when they walk by. It's been a week and no more egg eating.
fl.gif
Keeping my fingers crossed.

In case no one has answered your question, culling is doing away with a chicken (harvesting if you like the term) due to some problem (like egg eating, hens that peck other hens, old age, deformity, sickness etc...). Not a pleasant thought, I know. I'm new here too so I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom