Egg glued to incubator

KelseyBoxer

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 23, 2014
South Jersey
I am in the middle of a hatch. 7 chicks emerged full of energy and fluffing quickly. One egg pipped 20hrs ago and started to rip around the egg last nite. This morning the egg had rolled and the rip was down on the liner. Sticky clear fluid was oozing out and the egg was stuck down. I rolled it over and wrapped it in a moist paper towel. The beak was moving and the chick was alive! 2 hrs later I removed the egg and began to peel away the shell. The membrane was yellow and dry. A large amount was stuck on her back and wing. Shell was also stuck. I removed the rest of the membrane and had to submerge her in warm water to remove the membrane the was holding her in a little ball. She is drying now in the incubator. I don't know if she will make it but I had no choice but to assist. Any ideas on what this fluid was. It was thick like the white of an egg. Temp: 98.5 at hatch Humidity: 73-75%

I am in the middle of a hatch. 7 chicks emerged full of energy and fluffing quickly. One egg pipped 20hrs ago and started to rip around the egg last nite. This morning the egg had rolled and the rip was down on the liner. Sticky clear fluid was oozing out and the egg was stuck down. I rolled it over and wrapped it in a moist paper towel. The beak was moving and the chick was alive! 2 hrs later I removed the egg and began to peel away the shell. The membrane was yellow and dry. A large amount was stuck on her back and wing. Shell was also stuck. I removed the rest of the membrane and had to submerge her in warm water to remove the membrane the was holding her in a little ball. She is drying now in the incubator. I don't know if she will make it but I had no choice but to assist. Any ideas on what this fluid was. It was thick like the white of an egg. Temp: 98.5 at hatch Humidity: 73-75%
What was your humidity during the incubation? It sounds to me as the egg didn't loose enough moisture. If this was the only one with excess fluid was the egg larger than the others?

I did the dry method and never got over 25%. I only added water 2x. this egg was one of the larger ones, but I had 2 other Olive eggs(all same size) and they hatched well. She is alive and kicking. She is holding her head curved down like shes still in the egg.
She does hop around and put it up, but quickly tires and goes down head first. I did offer save a chick and she chewed some down.

That just happened to one of our chicks. We helped her by breaking the shell a bit more to give her more of a start snide she appeared weak, about an hour later we check and she was stuck to the incubator and still stick in the egg. We got her all out after realizing that and she started running around like the hulk! Once we put her in the brooder with the other chicks they wanted to attack her I'm guessing because she was still sticky and had a part of the shell dried to her? We'll all is we'll now, not sticky and running around with the rest of the crew!

Glad to hear your baby is doing good. I dug the egg shells out of the trash and I believe the air cell was smaller than normal. I always mark the cell with pencil and this one could have been bigger for the size of the egg.. For some strange reason this chick was different. I hope she gets stronger by tomorrow. She has fluffed up nicely but still seems to have difficulty holding her head up.

Some of our weaker birds who needed help hatching are doing just fine with all the other.. Some chicks came out of the egg busting out like the hulk, Hope your little one gets stronger by tomorrow.. She can do it!!

She may just need a little extra time to gain strength. I had a similar assisted hatch last year. She needed hydrotherapy to get un-stuck. I thought I was going to need to splint a curled foot, but by the time I got the supplies gathered the next day, I couldn't figure out which foot it was. She gained strength quickly, and several days later, I couldn't pick her out of the crowd.

I did the dry method and never got over 25%. I only added water 2x. this egg was one of the larger ones, but I had 2 other Olive eggs(all same size) and they hatched well. She is alive and kicking. She is holding her head curved down like shes still in the egg.
She does hop around and put it up, but quickly tires and goes down head first. I did offer save a chick and she chewed some down.
I do dry too. My last hatch I had one out of the whole bunch (16) that had extra fluid in it when I did the eggtopsy. (3 didn't hatch, all fully developed to hatch.) That one egg was, I believe the biggest out of them. I believe size and probably the shell quality kept the egg from loosing enough moisture and he drowned in the shell.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement. I kept her and a spraddle leg chick in a dry strofoam incubator over nite. She was popping around today so after a few drops of chick saver I placed her in the brooder with the other 8. Spraddle leg is better but 1 leg is still sticking out. I removed the band aid splint and put a thin strip of velcro to help her get straight. Shes back in the incubator all alone. Good strong fighting spirit though.

Back
Top Bottom