Egg just exploded in the incubator

I was worried that the exploded egg might mess up the hatch, but it didn't, as I have chicks pipping, zipping and hatching at this very moment.
wee.gif

I am feeling so depressed about my egg that got stuck into the egg turner cup. I'm not sure what the yellow sticky stuff is that was on the egg turner, maybe egg yolk from a cracked egg. But anyways, I had a perfectly good, fertilized egg stick to it and when I went to investigate it was stuck fast to the turner cup and the shell stuck to the side, taking a piece of the shell off. I had to throw away the egg and the yolk and white were one big blob - it had only been in the incubator for 4 days, so it wasn't too developed. Do you have any suggestions on what I should have done differently?

I had the exact same thing happen to me today! And I am a heavy candler, I candle at least 3-4 times before lockdown and I check each egg before I set them for cracks, detached aircells on shipped eggs, etc. I had bought shipped eggs and we are on day 6. I hand turn my eggs and this afternoon when I went to turn one of the eggs it was stuck and then it suddenly popped and exploded. The pop was super loud! When I did candle this egg I notice that at the front it looked like it had a black yolk. But we ordered a backyard mix that included Ayam Cemani's and I have heard that their eggs have dark yolks. So I left it. I candled on day 4 for just a quick check while I as turning just leaving them in the bator and shining the flashlight on them and I noticed that now this eggs and another were black all the way throughout the egg. Then today it exploded. The smell was AWFUL! But luckily it didn't get on the rest of my eggs. I totally washed my whole bator out. The stuff leaking out of the egg was green, black, and grey. It was disgusting! I took the other egg to the back of my property to bury it and it exploded when I set it on the leaves and made a loud popping sound and was the same thing and smelled just as bad. I have no idea how the bacteria got in the eggs nor how it grew so quickly. The other egg had a completely normal looking yolk and everything when set. Then six days later the bacteria multiplied to the whole egg! I could not control the conditions of these eggs prior to receiving them in the mail, but I am going to carefully monitor the rest of the eggs throughout this hatch. I'm terrified of the rest exploding!!!! In all my years of incubating and hatching eggs I have never had one explode. Then not only one but two explode?! So OP I dont think it was anything you did in ways of neglect to detect a crack or getting the egg wet since I didn't get mine wet and I check each egg super thoroughly for cracks, even hairline ones so I can try sealing them with candle wax and see if they develop. I guess bad eggs just happen? I hope it never happens again!

Last edited:
Also my temp has been 99.5 to 100.0 this whole time and have not had any spikes or lows. My humidity has stayed around 40-45% with little to no water added. I have hatched tons of successful hatches doing everything the exact same way with no rotten eggs.

If you've had an egg explode in your incubator than you should clean it and get the bacteria out of there. read the first post in this whole thread .the lady explains how she cleaned her incubator after an egg exploded in it.
Best,
Karen

If you've had an egg explode in your incubator than you should clean it and get the bacteria out of there. read the first post in this whole thread .the lady explains how she cleaned her incubator after an egg exploded in it.
Best,
Karen

Thank you! I'm just worried about mine specifically because it's day 22 and didn't know if it was still okay to take out the remaining eggs to clean it.

Last edited:
That is a tough choice since they're in lockdown. oh dear... so this egg has exploded inside the incubator and the chicks are in lockdown now... and they're going to hatch into this exploded egg bacterial mess ...but if you clean incubator, you have to take the chicks out of Lockdown to do it.
Oh my, what a choice. I don't know what I would do. maybe ask Sally Sunshine, she would probably know.
Karen

That is a tough choice since they're in lockdown. oh dear... so this egg has exploded inside the incubator and the chicks are in lockdown now... and they're going to hatch into this exploded egg bacterial mess ...but if you clean incubator, you have to take the chicks out of Lockdown to do it.
Oh my, what a choice. I don't know what I would do. maybe ask Sally Sunshine, she would probably know.
Karen

I haven't been on here enough to know who Sally Sunshine is or how to contact her. (I'm also using a phone so that's a bit different too.) Im glad you understand my dilemma lol. I should have stated it in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom