Egg just exploded in the incubator

My duck eggs are on day 13 and developing beautifully except one egg leaked. Is there any game in transferring them to a new incubator so I can thoroughly clean the one they are in in now?

My duck eggs are on day 13 and developing beautifully except one egg leaked. Is there any game in transferring them to a new incubator so I can thoroughly clean the one they are in in now?

Did you get it cleaned? I would try to make sure temperatures and humidity match up and not do it when there are any drafts. I've read some people would steam up their bathroom and then transfer. Idk how that works as I have never done it. I went ahead and took out the busted egg and let the last chick finish hatching. Idk how well that's gonna turn out. She seems fine but never know if she'll be sick bc of the bacteria. I'm a newbie so we'll see.

The temp has maintained 100ºF - 101ºF since the very first day. Right now the temperature is 101º F and the humidity is 46% with zero water in the incubator. Thankfully tomorrow begins lock down so I no longer have to worry about them drowning. I've been fighting to keep the humidity below 55% as we've been experiencing a lot of rain, and that's with absolutely no water in the incubator.

I've concluded that the egg must have had a crack for a while (if not from the very first day) and simply just went unnoticed until it started leaking and smelling. Then as it leaked, the seeping liquid dried and made the shell stick to the turner. So it was really just a time bomb waiting to happen.

I'm chalking this egg ordeal up to operator error. But I'm probably going to go back to hand turning (been doing that since my first hatch back in the early 1970's), as had I been doing the daily hands-on, I would have noticed the crack long before now. Oh well, you live and learn...even at this age. ;)
I did much better with the accuturner in my hovebator that has them laid down and turns them on their side, there are also several first time i got a decent hatch would get 1-2 out alive out of 24-48 with the one they usually send with them but changed to the other one and got an 82% hatch rate last time thanks to some advice from others hatching at high elevations, I still gotta get rid of that smell though momma hen got off the nest with the 5 chicks hatched so brought the eggs in and was tired and hurting and got 5 exploding eggs for not candling before adding them in there and a mess to clean up, but do have 2 more chicks hoping they make it they were mal positioned but alive ones working on absorbing the last part of the yolk , the other was able to move around after membrane was wet down and still absorbing veins

Exploding eggs! Wow, I had no knowledge of such a thing happening until yesterday. rat I learned of the possibility of exploding eggs in an article I was reading yesterday. Then your post here confirming the article. I have been trying to understand why the candling process is important. I have been skipping that step lately and my hatch rate has been just under 80%, so what's the point of candling? The experience you posted coupled with the article I read yesterday has convinced me to get back on program and quit "Winging" it before something bad happens. Thanks for your post.

Back
Top Bottom