Egg laying?

Roadsidefarm

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 6, 2016
My Jerseys are five months old, and recently the roo has started mounting the pullets fairly frequently. I know that Jerseys mature more slowly than other chickens, so it is going to take awhile to get eggs from them, but is the mounting a sign that my females are ready to start laying soon? Or is it just that I have a horny roo?

Good evening!

Your rooster mounting on your hens wouldn't necessarily be a factor that egg laying is starting. Fortunately there are many factors that'll determine weather your hen is ready to start laying. One factor is by checking there comb and waddle,if the color is a deep red; that'll show signs of maturity which ultimately means the hen is ready to lay. Second factor is when you reach for your hen and she starts to squat that is another factor. Lastly is noise, when your chicken is considerably louder than it use to be that is a major factor as well. Now for the age, larger breeds like your Jersey Giants typically lay later and small chickens such as bantams lay more sooner. So I would expect to say that around 10 months of age your hens will start laying. Although the earliest age of egg production is 5 months. But due to the fact you have a large breed it might take another 5 months unfortunately. I hope the best of luck for you and enjoy the rest of your night!

Sincerely~Sunshine Ducky

Just in case anyone reads this wondering the same thing, I will say that my Jerseys began laying soon after I posted this. I also read that when a rooster starts mounting hens, it's because the hens are close to sexual maturity and is a sign that they will be laying soon.

Just in case anyone reads this wondering the same thing, I will say that my Jerseys began laying soon after I posted this. I also read that when a rooster starts mounting hens, it's because the hens are close to sexual maturity and is a sign that they will be laying soon.

I agree, it can be a sign of pullet maturity. Some cockerels are simply mad, and will try and mate any pullet, regardless of age however. A mature cock bird would be less likely to mate immature pullets. It can be all down to the cock bird in question, so maybe it can be a guide to a pullet reaching sexual maturity, if one knows the temperament and age of the cock.

I agree, it can be a sign of pullet maturity. Some cockerels are simply mad, and will try and mate any pullet, regardless of age however. A mature cock bird would be less likely to mate immature pullets. It can be all down to the cock bird in question, so maybe it can be a guide to a pullet reaching sexual maturity, if one knows the temperament and age of the cock.
"simply mad" LOL! I like that.

I expected my Jersey Giant to lay later than the others. She surprised me by being the second of 10 in a mixed flock to lay and at 21 weeks 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom