Egg prices/price gouging

I agree with the article. Apparently price gouging is,,,,,,, not very illegal,,,,,,,, :idunno Politicians and Industry execs , sleep in same bed. They use the news media to spread a frenzy..
A well known Chicago politician,, (need not be named) said,, "a crisis is a terrible thing to waste"
I'm sure Cal-Maine Foods executives are well aware if this as well.

The big corporations always take advantage of "opportunities" when they arise. Doesn't matter if it'll hurt the common folk. I remember hearing often when I was young that the US had enough grain to feed the world 3x over... Sadly, most of it is locked away or left to rot to allow prices to stay where they are/or climb. :(

Many years ago, there was a coffee bean shortage. The price of coffee doubled, tripled......
The next growing season was normal, but the price of coffee never went down, it is the same with other "shortages". The price never returns to "pre-shortage" price
Kinda like black friday... raise the prices a few weeks before the sale then return to normal prices as a "discount" 😅

And Colorado's new law is affecting our prices as well. Snippet below. I don't disagree with the law, it just happens to be a double whammy on the pocketbook, with the ”Avian” price increase.

On and after January 1, 2023, the act also prohibits a business owner or operator from selling shell eggs or egg products that are produced by egg-laying hens that were confined in a manner that conflicts with these standards. In connection with this prohibition, the act:
  • Requires, by January 1, 2023, hens to be confined in an enclosure with at least one square foot of usable floor space per hen

I’ve also been seeing articles and stories on news sites warning people to reconsider starting backyard chicken flocks because of the diseases they can carry.
As a small scale cattle farmer with a few chickens, I feel much more confident in the safety of the food we raise and livestock under the care family farms and the many dedicated folks that have backyard chickens.
To me that is just the influence of the big businesses leaning on government agencies to push their agendas.
I would love to know the statistics on commercial egg sales in recent years since the rising popularity of everyday folks raising chickens again on their farms and in their backyards vs several years ago before the movement took off.
I whole heartedly support individuals being involved in raising their food and not having to rely on the big corporations for everything. Corporate greed is a major problem and unfortunately they are largely protected.

I’ve also been seeing articles and stories on news sites warning people to reconsider starting backyard chicken flocks because of the diseases they can carry.
As a small scale cattle farmer with a few chickens, I feel much more confident in the safety of the food we raise and livestock under the care family farms and the many dedicated folks that have backyard chickens.
To me that is just the influence of the big businesses leaning on government agencies to push their agendas.
I would love to know the statistics on commercial egg sales in recent years since the rising popularity of everyday folks raising chickens again on their farms and in their backyards vs several years ago before the movement took off.
I whole heartedly support individuals being involved in raising their food and not having to rely on the big corporations for everything. Corporate greed is a major problem and unfortunately they are largely protected.
Those news articles and stories come out every year. They tell people not to get backyard chickens or if you have them, not to kiss them, blah blah blah. It's been a scare tactic for awhile now

Those news articles and stories come out every year. They tell people not to get backyard chickens or if you have them, not to kiss them, blah blah blah. It's been a scare tactic for awhile now
Yes, they are nothing really new, but I find it a bit concerning that they say the specific words backyard chickens, as if commercially raised eggs and chickens are somehow much safer.

Back
Top Bottom