Egg production dropping off

chickie132

Hatching
May 9, 2016
Hey Everybody, we are fairly new to the whole chicken thing and are still learning. We have 15 red sex linked about nine months old. Since,they started laying they've been good for 10 to 14 eggs a day. Recently however, production has dipped to 6 to 8 a day. Not sure if this is normal or if we,are doing something wrong. Thanks and really appreciate the site!! It's been tremendously helpful.

Mine dropped production around that age too for a while, but it was during winter. Are you in the south? Some hens slack production if they get too hot. I put ice in their waterers in the morning and make sure they have lots of shade and that their nesting spot is shady. This year we're going to set up some misters so they have a few spots to cool off around. The heavier dual purpose breeds have a harder time in the heat than thinner breeds. While my red sex links are on the thinner side compared to my buff orpingtons and wyandottes, they still are no slim chicken. Mine have laid best so far in fall and spring. Last year during their first summer they laid pretty good. This year they're already slacking from the heat.

I am having the same problem. I have three black sex link chickens and production went from three eggs a day to now I'm lucky if I get two, typically it's none or one egg. They have plenty of water, have organic layer feed, large area to run around and they all seem healthy. They are all one year old. I am at a loss as to why this is happening.

Back
Top Bottom