Egg Yolk Peritonitis -- 20 month old Rhode Island Red.

LOL. I see that there could be a "treat issue" although I think their treats are healthy ones...for the most part. But I could probably get them back to eating more feed than scratch...
big_smile.png
We do kale/spinach in the winter for greens...so they're not eating gobs of hay or straw out of the run (sour crop prevention) Apple pieces once or twice a week. Lean meat leftovers--venison mostly. Free ranging spring, summer, fall --they do a lot less food then and I'm hoping they're making healthy choices there...I'm confident they are.

But yeah...I'll admit I probably have chicken "crack" addicts. Weaning time. Interesting video for sure. I'm a spoiler....Gosh and those foods she was giving looked pretty healthy too....IDK about the soy...but there were some other things that looked okay....LOL Back to more feed. I know this...but sometimes us chicken Moms can't help ourselves to see them come runnin'.

LOL. I see that there could be a "treat issue"  although I think their treats are healthy ones...for the most part.  But I could probably get them back to eating more feed than scratch...:D   We do kale/spinach in the winter for greens...so they're not eating gobs of hay or straw out of the run (sour crop prevention)  Apple pieces once or twice a week. Lean meat leftovers--venison mostly.  Free ranging spring, summer, fall --they do a lot less food then and I'm hoping they're making healthy choices there...I'm confident they are.

But yeah...I'll admit I probably have chicken "crack" addicts.  Weaning time.  Interesting video for sure.  I'm a spoiler....Gosh and those foods she was giving looked pretty healthy too....IDK about the soy...but there were some other things that looked okay....LOL  Back to more feed.  I know this...but sometimes us chicken Moms can't help ourselves to see them come runnin'.

:lau

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy, I'll give it the ole college try and get it ciphered out. I know how to get it down to the right mg strength from previous experience 800mg...I believe, If I remember my tinkering from last winter. And then it's just determining what she probably drinks through the day. I'm going to say 3 cc's in the am and 3 cc's at night....

This chicken nut needs to go to bed. Got basketball tournament for my daughter tomorrow...bright and early. I'll keep you posted on our "Rose-Bush".

Okay so we got Rose up to the house this afternoon. It was a beautiful 26 degrees out today. Felt really like spring to us. Opened the run door and Roger lead some of the hens around the coop and back in again. Can't go too far in that deep snow!

Anyways: Rosie still eating but then still puffed up. It could be just me but her abdomen felt slightly larger today. I found some Penicillin caplets in my medicine cabinet and crushed 1/2 of it and put it in some apple sauce and my daughter syringed it bit by bit into her beak. I also got a baby aspirin in her and two scrambled eggs. She pooped 3 times: The same watery white with bright green tubular poops. Got her back to the coop and she took some harassing from the Rooster which I stopped immediately. Then at roosting time I found she had selected a nest box to hide or sleep in instead of getting up on the roost. Not a good sign. We'll see how she does with a night's rest on these meds.

Did abdomen checks on all my hens. I'm suspicious of abdomens on 2 more birds. It could be just eggs coming down the pipe too..IDK. But I think my New Hamp and Black Australorp may be affected. No outward signs though...so I'm not even going there now.

We know the out come of this particular scenario. This bird has a spot in our memories and there are beautiful stories with her name already told and future stories she'll be fondly remembered and spoke about. I know she's not gone yet...but it's just best to prepare.

Thanks pwand. My daughter wanted that picture that evening with Rosie for Shell3. We were sending her some of the flock that evening. The sun was going down...and that light was just right for my pretty girls.

We have some nice people on these threads that's for sure....

Thanks pwand.  My daughter wanted that picture that evening with Rosie for Shell3.  We were sending her some of the flock that evening. The sun was going down...and that light was just right for my pretty girls.

We have some nice people on these threads that's for sure....
We sure do have nice people on these threads, great supports.

Try not get to worried about the other girls. I know it's hard not to.

She looked real good today. A little puffin' up but the day was nice--above freezing. 2nd day of antibiotic and aspirin. Guess who was on the highest roost tonight. LOL Our Rosey. Such a gritty little pistol.

Doing some weaning on the "treats" the last two days. Boy are they ever after me though....pretty insistent they are!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom