Egg Yolk Peritonitis -- 20 month old Rhode Island Red.

She looked real good today. A little puffin' up but the day was nice--above freezing.  2nd day of antibiotic and aspirin.  Guess who was on the highest roost tonight.  LOL  Our Rosey.  Such a gritty little pistol.

Doing some weaning on the "treats" the last two days.  Boy are they ever after me though....pretty insistent they are!  :cool:

Ahh, glad to hear she seems better. :)

Oh you bad Momma, taking away the good stuff. :eek:

Last edited:
Just wanted to post some Poo pictures for Egg Yolk Peritonitis: This may not be the best picture because the towel is white and absorbed the water already. but usually there is quite a lot of watery milky looking urate associated with this.

And then just for fun. This was lunch time today. Brought Rose up for her Penicillin, aspirin laced apple sauce and her scrambled egg. Jasmine waiting for the go ahead to clean up Rose's mess! Some pecking order we got around here, huh?

Thank you pwand. I did get through a majority of HensintheHouse EYP thread when I started searching for Rosie. Pretty intensive vigil she's keeping with hers. Rose came up for egg and her meds then took her back down with the rest of the flock. She is roosting tonight again. So that's good.

We are getting settled with our inevitable outcome. I'm not sure if I am selfish to prolong her life with antibiotics and pain meds. This is my dilemma and I think, unfortunately, I'll have to be the one to call it. I don't like making these calls. When I went down to the run though to get her she was with everybody looking at me next to the roo waiting to see what I brought. So she's hanging in...doing chicken things with the rest of the flock. Just maybe takes a few more breaks and snoozes. I brought down just a bit of kale...BTW. LOL
big_smile.png
gig.gif
They're going through their feed now which is good. No scratch at all today. So tomorrow...maybe I'll bring a little down at lunch time after they've had their feed for breakfast. Help with the weaning process. Cold Turkey is just too harsh. LOL.

Hello Bogtown Chick, and hi pwand and Kathy!
Pwand and Kathy are tremendous helpers, aren't they?

Thank you for your very kind words for my chicken.

I saw your post before.. But I thought I may make you sad ...
I still have a hope that Rosey doesn't have egg yolk penitritis.
She is really charming.
Very nice pictures with your dog and daughter,which made me smile. :)

I will think of you and Rosey.

Well I must admit I really do have a soft spot for dear little Rosie myself and I know she's a favourite . I can't help but always be positive, even when I'm clueless!lol but I say while she's happy doing chicken things I would do what you can for her, where there's life there's hope. And after my experience, you just never know when a recovery is around the corner,however bleak things seem. Antibiotics sound like a good idea, have you tried simply massaging her belly ? Clearly this is not expert advice!!lol I wish I had some but.... I just think maybe it could help her pass something?? Or might ease some discomfort? Also I like the idea of adding calcium to her diet, maybe some help with shell production would be beneficial.
Perhaps a warm soak in the sink? Not sure with your outdoor temp/shock? But just a thought, just thinking of egg bound advice I've seen.
I wish I could be more help. I will be routing for her thou,googling and praying for a recovery. Xxx

Pwand and Kathy are tremendous helpers, aren't they?

Thank you hensintheHOUse. They are a wonderful help and comfort on all these threads. Smart, sensible ladies, to be sure.

Duramycin-10 is this the antibiotic you have ? There's a post on here that claims a full recovery using this. (Just going to add any possibly useful tidbits I find)
Hi Shell I do have this. Thanks for visiting, BTW. I cannot tell you why for sure I did not pick it and go for this one...but I think in my brain going a million miles an hour on how to fix this: I decided I don't like isolating her and giving a drench of her own to her. It's too out of control for me not knowing how much she is taking in. I'm a bit of a freak this way. But with this diagnosis it probably doesn't matter anyways, unfortunately, if I'm being real with myself. The PCN should take care of the peritoneal(within the abdominal activity) infection I would think. Plus I know she is getting enough antibiotic in the process. IDK "for sure" with any of this.

x2 
smile.png
Thanks hensintheHOUse and pwand. Both of these girls are family treasures.
love.gif

Rosie still active in the Run today. Out and about with her GF's and Roger, The Big Tootsie. They've tore apart a bale of straw I think in an effort to find hidden grains to satiate their "Crack" scratch desire. Industrious little buggers. Love it.

I think her comb looks a little redder today. Another good sign we're getting a handle on the infection I'm assuming. Despite the mass in her abdomen.

Back
Top Bottom