Eggs - how to keep

Penelope59

Chirping
Jun 29, 2022
Ok, I can’t get a clear answer on the internet. Hopefully, all of you can help. My question: How long do fresh unwashed eggs last on the counter? I’ve read two weeks and I’ve read a month? Which one is it? I read washed eggs go in the fridge and are fresh for 3 months, but I’ve also read they last 2 months. Why is there not a clear answer?

Why is there not a clear answer?
Because of different conditions and different definitions/tolerance for 'freshness'.

Pop the eggs in a couple of inches of water, if they float chuck them out.
Nahhhh.
Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.

Because of different conditions and different definitions/tolerance for 'freshness'.

Nahhhh.
Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.
I'll have to disagree with you a bit here.

The float test isn't the most accurate way to determine if an egg has gone bad, you are correct it shows either an egg getting old or a rotten egg (gas buildup inside the egg).

The test can give you a pretty good gist of what eggs are good and bad, if it floats you don't really want to eat it anyway because it means it's pretty old. It may not float but still have gone-off, I naturally assume anyone on this site cracking open eggs will be able to tell if it's rotten once they open it. Naturally you should check eggs when you open them anyway, or like you said you can crack them in a separate dish.

I don't see the point in float testing ALL your eggs if you only want two for breakfast.. so no you don't need to wash them and put them back in the fridge because you will only float test what you want to eat..

I don't see the point in float testing ALL your eggs if you only want two for breakfast
<shrugs>I don't see the point in floating the 2 for breakfast.
Just break them in a bowl and use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.
Try it, see if you've been tossing perfectly edible eggs.

Massively depends on the ambient temperatures of different places, somewhere constantly cold's eggs will last much longer on the counter than somewhere hot. Pop the eggs in a couple of inches of water, if they float chuck them out. I do this everytime I go to cook my eggs, takes no time at all.
I’m referring to eggs inside my house on the counter- obviously where it’s climate controlled. Still doesn’t give me a clear answer on my questions.

...Still doesn’t give me a clear answer on my questions.
It is neither. It is up to multiple months for eggs with intact blooms at room temperatures. I'm not sure about washed, refrigerated eggs.

There is not a clear answer for several reasons. One is the temperature (as given above). Also humidity. Possibly another reason is is how heavy the bloom of a given chicken or maybe other such variations among chickens.

Another is how much rubbing the egg got between being layed and reaching the storage place. Sometimes I gather an egg with the bloom still damp; maybe some sticks to my fingers? Other times I gather a dry egg with two fingers and don't shift my hold until it reaches the egg carton. Other times, I stick it in my pocket then get mail, shovel the driveway, then go in and set it on the table on a dish towel, move it out of the way five times before putting it in the egg carton.

Then there is how much risk different people are willing to take. Or ewww tolerance they have. Usually it is less risk if the person is telling someone else how much to take. Especially if it is a person responsible for official recommendations.

Then there is the definition of "last." Egg contents can change quite a lot without becoming at all dangerous. Some changes probably result in less nutrition. Some might not. Last week, my husband told me to use just that day's eggs for his sunny side ups. He likes the high whites (and neither of us could think of a reason not to). For him, the eggs "last" one day. And I used 3 month old eggs in pancakes last week with no bad effects. I'm testing ways of keeping eggs that will last from molt to starting laying again in the spring

I've looked a little several times for studies done on the nutritional changes of eggs over time with and without the bloom but haven't found much.

Ok, I can’t get a clear answer on the internet. Hopefully, all of you can help. My question: How long do fresh unwashed eggs last on the counter? I’ve read two weeks and I’ve read a month? Which one is it? I read washed eggs go in the fridge and are fresh for 3 months, but I’ve also read they last 2 months. Why is there not a clear answer?
Well I keep unwashed eggs for up to a month on counter. If you put in fridge you're good for a month or more. I sell my unwashed non refrigerated eggs once a month no complaints. I just tried some older eggs and the only thing I notice is the yolks don't stand up as tall when fried. I've never had an egg go bad yet. So for more fresh eggs you can refrigerate to keep fresher. If I end up with a dirty egg I simply wash it off and put in fridge to eat first. Truth be told the eggs we buy at store are at least a month old. That's what I know form my experience. Hope that helps.

p.s. if you want hard boiled eggs the older ones peel better.

Last edited:
At least 1 month. Regulations in the UK prohibit the washing and refrigeration of eggs before sale, so they are always unwashed and stored at the sort of temperature you're talking about. Stored thus, they have to be given a 'best before' date of 4 weeks from date of lay. They may be good for considerably longer, with all the variations everyone else has talked about playing a role, but they will be good for at least that long.

Back
Top Bottom