Eggs In the Incubator

Intervening probably saved the one that did survive. Chicks are very delicate and some will die even with the most experienced chicken keepers. If your little one does pull through you should look on CL or at a feed store for another chick close in age to keep her company and bolster her spirit. There is also a Facebook group called Backyard Urban Chickens (eastern washington) that might be able to offer tips or chicks.

Here is the lone survivor. He hasn'the dried completely so he looks pretty sad but he sure knows how to chirp. If it's a girl her name will be Miracle and Lucky if it's a boy. With my luck it will be a boy and I'll have to re-home him. I'll send pics as the weeks go on and we can all put in our guesses :)

I'm sorry that happened! You can get chicks shipped to you still in Texas. I don't know where your located but I use ideal poultry and am getting chicks shipped to me tomorrow. I was worried I'd have a lone survivor this round and wanted to make sure they wernt alone. If alone they chirp calling for help all day and night and it is almost unbearable after a while. Hope that doesn't happen but if you could get a few more chicks this will help

I've checked Craigslist and there are a few options close by. I'm going to try to get him a friend tomorrow. He's a little lopsided and is having trouble walking. Any ideas if he'll grow out of that? I'm new to this.

Ya they usually act a little drunk for 12-24 hours for me at least. Once they get all dry and eat and drink they perk up. You can give it some sugar water or a little honey on its beak to give it a little boost. I use kid medicine syringes

What breed of chick is it? I will be putting 24 eggs in my Bator tomorrow, it's running right now so I can watch it's temp and humidity before I put eggs in.

It was either a blue laced brahma or a golden laced brahma. I lost him tonight too :( very sad. I'm going to order another set of eggs and try again. I'll be making a few adjustments and hopefully this next batch will go better.

*hugs, that is sad. I would ask locals for eggs instead of shipping them, I have barnyard mix eggs that will be Oliver eggers if you would like a few, I'll be in Rathdrum on Sunday. I've also seen some copper maran eggs and Oliver egger eggs being sold out of medical lake.

I know but I have fallen in love with this breed. I'm gonna give it one more try. If the next batch doesn't go well then I'll stop. For a while at least ;)

Back
Top Bottom