Eggs that got cold still hatched!

rubie

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
Arkansas
Last Thursday I got home from work around 7:30 pm and went out to check the broodys. I have two. So in the confusion and drama of arguing about nest boxes, one of the broody buffs had went and got in another nest. I found her two eggs I had candled that were viable, cold with two new eggs laid that day. I was so upset with her i took her out of the nest and set her on the floor. The eggs were very cold. I almost threw them away. Something told me to keep them so I put them under the other broody. The buff I put on the floor stole the eggs back! So I let her keep them. Monday when I got home from work I went to check the coop to make sure no new eggs had been laid in that nest while she was up getting food and water. To my surprise I found a chick!

I couldn't believe those eggs that had gotten so cold were still good. I put the Moma, chick and the other egg in the brooder. Today the other egg hatched!

I just wanted to share this.. I think the chicks are the cutest... but I know I'm just a proud .....would that make me a grandma?

I'm so glad to hear that! My silkie is setting on 11 eggs, I gave her 4 thinking she'd be happy and ( I only have 4 that are laying right now and I don't always get 4 a day so I colleted 2-3 a day) and much to my surprise I lifted her after 3 days and found she'was sitting on 11 instead of 4, guess she's REALLY broody! Anyway I moved her inside with all of her eggs last night because I have another silkie that goes broody for a day or less and she stole 9 of her eggs last night! Anyway this morning 3 of the eggs were not under her and they were cold even thought she's inside and we keep that room at 68-69 degrees I was thinking they may not make it and 10 of the 11 eggs look viable the other could be I wasn't sure. I've been so disappointed thinking they may not be any good and ther from my black silkie and my white laced polish and so hoping to see what we get. This gives me hope! I put them back under her when I found them and she's still sitting on them so maybe mine will be okay too! Your baby is so beautiful!

LOL- yes, your a chicken-grandma! Congrats on the babies.

Thank you!!! Of course i went out tonight and said hi to them. The black one was hopping on top of her moma..and i didn't have my camera.. :( but i will tomorrow.. and I'll post pictures :)

I'm so glad to hear that! My silkie is setting on 11 eggs, I gave her 4 thinking she'd be happy and ( I only have 4 that are laying right now and I don't always get 4 a day so I colleted 2-3 a day) and much to my surprise I lifted her after 3 days and found she'was sitting on 11 instead of 4, guess she's REALLY broody! Anyway I moved her inside with all of her eggs last night because I have another silkie that goes broody for a day or less and she stole 9 of her eggs last night! Anyway this morning 3 of the eggs were not under her and they were cold even thought she's inside and we keep that room at 68-69 degrees I was thinking they may not make it and 10 of the 11 eggs look viable the other could be I wasn't sure. I've been so disappointed thinking they may not be any good and ther from my black silkie and my white laced polish and so hoping to see what we get. This gives me hope! I put them back under her when I found them and she's still sitting on them so maybe mine will be okay too! Your baby is so beautiful!

Thank you! I was hoping i would give some hope to someone that had a similar situation..Good luck!

I know this is an older thread, but I'm on here reading obsessively because I had a similar thing happen with my duck today. The abandoned eggs are in the brooder and my fingers are crossed. I just wanted to say thank you for giving me hope!

Back
Top Bottom