Eggs what do you do with surplus??????????????

Quote:
I didn't know that you can freeze eggs, but I do make all of those high egg recipes so we never have any extras, even with 12 laying hens we still buy 2-3 dozen eggs a week!

Or you could make lemon curd to give as gifts for Christmas. It uses only the yolks, so you could use the whites in another recipe or scramble them for your dog or chickens. Half of my 25 girls are laying now and the most I've had in a day so far has been 12. I supply my daughter and one neighbor (he bakes and brings us good stuff) and I'm working on building a customer list. I'm hoping a few at church will get interested in buying reallly fresh eggs.

those are great ideas thank you....the freezing of the eggs itself is very cool...lol...

now about my friends, I don't really get it, had one friend tell me she would buy them if they were only .75 cents, and the rest expect them free. they pay already 3 bucks or so for 12 eggs at the grocery store now and expect farm fresh eggs to be free!! so I pretty much concluded they can keep buying their eggs at the grocery store or walmart and I will find something else to do with all those eggs.

Quote:
I didn't know that you can freeze eggs, but I do make all of those high egg recipes so we never have any extras, even with 12 laying hens we still buy 2-3 dozen eggs a week!

Yep, you can freeze them. They are not quite "good" for scrambling after frozen, but there is no difference in baked products that call for eggs. Thawed scrambled eggs are kind of rubbery textured. I don't like them. Baked goods though, they taste just like fresh to me.

ep.gif
You folks eat a lot of eggs!!! I'd never go through THAT many even with my freezing and cooking habits!

Quote:
Then GIVE them the eggs. Charge them a bag of feed for every 5 dozen you "give" them for free
lol.png
Seems like more folks want something for nothing these days.
hmm.png

I agree, do not encourage freeloaders, you will never hear the end of them.

You have lots of good ideas. I give some to an older lady who could use the help, and to a friend who I trade favors with regularly. Neither has ever asked, or is the kind of person who would ask for a gift of anything. I would sell to someone who asked, perhaps, but never give. Tell freeloaders your price. It's certainly not their business if you give someone a gift, and if that gift happens to be eggs.

Quote:
I have been wondering about freezing eggs, mine haven't started laying yet. You say "salt the yolks" explain that please. Do you still have to salt the egg if you scramble them prior to freezing (like egg beaters)? Thanks.

If my friends felt that way about it I'd let them continue buying from the store too. I keep hearing people selling farm fresh eggs for around a dollar, but the "good" eggs at even Walmart go for over $3.
barnie.gif
I would give mine to charity long before I would give them to such "friends"
duc.gif

Quote:
Now I call that real "friend like". She wants to set the price? 75 cents!! Yes, she sould keep buying the old eggs from the store. I took a dozen of one day old eggs to a friend at church yesterday and told her no charge for this one. She said "okay but I'll be paying for the next ones." I said "OK". I'm going to do that every week, just take one dozen to church for a particular family. If someone else asks I'll bring them a complimentary dozen and hope to make them a customer. I'm starting out charging $2.50 and will raise it as the eggs get larger. Everyone will know that from the first dozen. It may not pay for my chicken house but in a year but it'll place the excess eggs and pay for my feed and more.

I salt the yolks and stir them in. The salt keeps the yolks from freezing into a rubbery mess that is hard to stir into recipes. The first eggs I froze were guinea eggs and I did not stir them or salt the yolks. MISTAKE! LOL! When I made brownies with them, I thawed and the yolks were still pretty solid, almost as solid as a soft boiled egg yolk. The salt just keeps them from getting that consistency when they are ready to be used. The brownies were still edible, but the egg just was not mixed in as well as it should have been. When I say "salt" them, that is lightly salt the yolk of the eggs, and then stir them as if you will be scrambling eggs. Then you pour them into the ice cube trays to freeze. Each egg cube is the equivalent of one fresh egg. So, when you start to use them, for each egg called for in the recipe, you thaw one egg cube to use instead of cracking a fresh egg. It's pretty simple, and very much useful when the girls aren't laying as many eggs as your family needs!

Back
Top Bottom