Eggs what do you do with surplus??????????????

I know this thread is a little bit old but I am going to throw this in here anyway.

One more option for a surplus of eggs that you want to give away: find where in your community that there are apartments for the developmentally disabled. My daughter lives in independent living and she cooks supper every night and cooks her meals on the weekends. I do know how hard it is for her to cook good healthy food on the budget she is allowed...$50 a week....so I supplement with both eggs and other groceries that I pick up. She does cook very healthy foods because she recently lost 75 pounds and is learning to keep the weight off now. There are several other consumers in her complex that cook also and I am starting to take them fresh eggs also. I always label the carton and put the date the last egg was added. So, there is an idea that will really make you feel good about giving your eggs away.

If you have spare time to go with it offer to go in once in a while and teach them a healthy meal to cook with the eggs. That is what I am doing while I am not working. Once a month I go in and cook a meal....there are about 8 consumers in the complex and there is a rec room with a kitchen. I take recipes for all of them. Explain why it is good for them and use them to help me prepare the meal. They are proud of what they cooked and even if they started out saying they did not like what I brought to cook they were eating it and liking it. My stepson lives there also and has for 17 years. If you open his freezer it is full of tv dinners and junk. He is now assisted in fixing two meals a week and freezing his leftover for 'healthy tv dinners'.'

Everything else everyone has mentioned are really good things to do with your eggs. I just wanted to add in my group of great people.

Quote:
this is a fantastic idea. We do have a facility here which would likely take the eggs but as far as teaching them to cook it would have to be their support workers that do that. I actually know most of them, to be honest, and they are fantastic people :-D

I didn't read all the posts, but here's what I do:

1. I scramble the extras and feed them back to the chickens or to my cats mixed with their food for added protein. I also scramble them and put them on a platform feeder where some of the wild song birds like it too!

2. I have an aunt who does crafts, and makes little decorative bird houses and stuff. I recently emptied a bunch of them using the pin hole method and sent them to her. She was tickled pink and glues them into decorative bird nests, etc.

Hope that helps.
smile.png

Quote:
I wouldn't even worry about people like that!! But I tell you what they would be the very LAST person I would give anything too!!
smack.gif

I charge $2.00 a dozen. I admit it gets way over board when I have 18 - 20 dozen in the fridge but I get 2-3 dozen a day!! (Still haven't got that extra fridge) But like right now I only have 3 dozen in there from today. My in laws took 13 dozen to the VA today and sold everyone of them!!
yippiechickie.gif
LOVE days like that. I have thought about contacting St. Vincent DePaul. They feed the homeless in the city everyday. I really need to see if they would actually take them.

I have thought about the idea of putting a sign by the road. Might just place it out there on our off weekends.
idunno.gif

There were some really great ideas given too!!
smile.png

Quote:
this is a fantastic idea. We do have a facility here which would likely take the eggs but as far as teaching them to cook it would have to be their support workers that do that. I actually know most of them, to be honest, and they are fantastic people :-D

My daughter has full time staff that is there to help her. Learning to cook new things as a group helps them socialize as well as try things they normally would not try. It is a group learning thing. But not all the consumers have staff that are there to help them. Those that do not have what they call residentual staff that takes them to the grocery store...where they buy their own food and make their own choices. The problem with this group that are there with my daughter is that they have lived there for years and with the exception of my daughter they all make not so good choices in their food. It is all visual to them. Whatever looks good on the box. The thing I get out of it is knowing that they are getting at least that one healthy well balanced meal and might learn something from it that will help them make better choices. That is the reason that I do it. Besides, my daughter loves it and thinks her mom rocks in the kitchen! So, fun for me and fun for her. I tried a few years ago to talk them into letting my DH and I come and till up a garden spot. Not much, just enough to plants some tomatoes and squash and maybe cucumbers and a little lettuce. Something they could tend and we could keep a bit of an eye on....but no, they did not want the 'grass' messed up. I though it would help them with healthier eating plus a sense of pride.
And yeah, I get on their nerves....just trying to give them more of a life.

One more idea. Cook those cakes and high egg use goodies, freeze them, then take the food saver and pack them up. They are said to last 1 - 2 YEARS in the freezer. Give for Christmas all airtight. Yeah you do have to have time to bake. But one day can bake a lot of cake.

I guess I am strange, I have never sold any eggs. I give all of what we do not use away. I even deliver to one family who is struggling extra hard (as of yesterday, even harder, the breadwinner had his arm crushed in an accident and is still in the hospital). However, if I did sell them, there is no way that I would just give to people who are trying to guilt you into giving them something for nothing. I have never liked people who do that. You are absolutely right in refusing to give in to that kind of pressure. I hope you find some good, reliable buyers soon
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom