Eggs what do you do with surplus??????????????

Give them away...

Or give them to the chickens
hide.gif

Maizey - Your recipe sounds great! I'll be making that one evening soon for my daughter and her family. I like to make dinner and have them over or take it to their house (1/4 mi down the road) once a week to give them a break from cooking after work and school. DD is a 1st grade teacher and it's already been a verrry stressful year. Also sounds great for a Sunday after church casual dinner. Thanks for posting!

I wouldn't. i accidentally sold some old bad eggs, because i tried to same them. they were white ones, and i only have 2 white hens so im always worried about not having enough or something lol. i saved them and then found out they were bad. i refunded anyone who got bad eggs, and gave the bad eggs to my hens
Quote:

Quote:
I'd call and ask them if they are interested in eggs. Many advertise that they only take dry/canned goods, but do have refrigeration. They just don't want large quantities of perishables showing up out of the blue that they don't have room for or can't give away in a timely manner. The small, community food pantry that we give to takes donations of non-perishables and then uses cash donations to buy perishables each week as needed. I tell them to call me when they need eggs and they usually call us every few weeks asking only for the quantities that they actually need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, if you can convince the agency you're donating to that unwashed eggs are not perishable, then there shouldn't be a problem. We always drop ours off on the day they hand out items so storage is never a problem. They don't last that long anyway.

Does everyone who sells eggs use egg cartons? Is it a pain to have to buy egg cartons?

Right now I send my mother in law my excess eggs every couple weeks. (In my old plastic coffee cans) She's always clamoring for more, as she gives them out on her end too. But I have 5 new layers just coming of age, so that ought to increase our supply. Might have to think about selling them before long. I do feel guilty selling them, tho, I like to just give them away.
smile.png

Quote:

Quick easy egg test put them in a container of water, deeper then the egg. If the egg lays flat long ways on the bottom, great.
thumbsup.gif
If it stands on it's end but still stays underwater, not fresh but still edible.
fl.gif
If it floats it's bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sickbyc.gif

Remember goverment assisted Food Banks can only accept raw items that are USDA inspected. I found this out through some donated items I made, and plus the head of the North Louisiana Food bank, informed me. This includes meat, poultry, and dairy products that are bought at a store and donated. They can, by law, only accept processor sealed non-perishable products. A lot of times they will take items because they don't want to appear to refuse donations, but because of their strict rules regarding raw products, they are tossed. Best thing to do with them would be find a church that has a pantry, a rescue mission, halfway houses, battered spouse shelters, fire stations, NON goverment sponsored food pantry, they will be more than happy to accept them. Might even make some friends and customers.

Last edited:
Quiche has already been suggested, but I have to throw it out there again. So far, it's our favorite. I make 2 every Sunday night so my DH will have something to eat for the rest of the week when he comes home from working the night shift. They never last more thatn 2 days. LOL

2 9" pie crusts
1 Sweet Red Pepper
1 Medium Onion
2 Cups of Shredded Cheese (I like to do 1 cup Mozerella and 1 cup cheddar)
8-12 eggs - depends on size.
Salt and Pepper to taste
Mushrooms (optional)
Milk (optional)
Breakfast Meat of your choice (optional)

If using meat in your quiche, cook and set aside to drain.

Roll out your pie crusts and lay them over the pie pans. Lightly press your crusts to form to the pan and trim off the excess crust from the edges. Set the excess aside. Decorate the edges of the crusts if desired - using tines of fork or the pinch and twist method.

Dice pepper and onion to desired size and put half in each crust.

If adding meat, sprinkle on top of peppers and onions. I usually use our homemade sausage (about a pound total) but we have gone meatless before and it was wonderful. I recently took some Lil Smokies, chopped them and added those - very delicious. I'll be doing ham next. Just make sure what ever meat you use is cooked BEFORE you put it in.

Add 1 cup of cheese to each - spread evenly around. (we are guilty of using more - it's up to you)

Get a bowl and whip your eggs. Some people add milk here - I don't. Salt and Pepper to taste. Now is the time to add any other seasonings - we never have though. Pour over cheese - CAREFULLY.

For mushrooms, I use one small can and top one quiche with them, pushing the smaller pieces in slightly and letting the larger pieces display on top.

If desired, take excess crust dough, roll out smooth and use a cookie cutter for hearts or stars or something like that - great for the kids.
I have also cut a few rings of pepper and laid those on the top and it looks really nice.

I generally free hand a heart - simple .

Bake @ 350 degrees for 50-60 mins. Check periodically. If your crust begins to get to brown, cover them with foil until done. I generally leave mine in until the top is a light brown - hubby likes it best this way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom