Egyptian Fayoumis Thread!

Pics
When our EF Roo died, we performed a necropsy and his skin and meat looked like any other chicken...just not much meat (they are a lean breed). All the crosses we have processed (EE, Aust., RIR, WLeg, BR, etc...) have had normal looking skin/meat. We still have EF genes in our flock for pest and heat tolerance, and the only difference (aside from plumage) between our birds and the straight lines is that they are leaner and flightier.

The heat tolerance and disease resistance is what has prompted my interest in them as well. My Delawares do very well here in North Florida, I cull anything that can't hang, but I have been thinking of introducing some EF genes and then breeding back to another Delaware or New Hampshire Roo. Have you been satisfied with the results of introducing EF genes in your flock?

The heat tolerance and disease resistance is what has prompted my interest in them as well. My Delawares do very well here in North Florida, I cull anything that can't hang, but I have been thinking of introducing some EF genes and then breeding back to another Delaware or New Hampshire Roo. Have you been satisfied with the results of introducing EF genes in your flock?
For the most part, yes. I don't have any "pet" chickens that like being held or touched and no real meat-bird to speak of, but I also don't have any sick or stressed out birds. Our climate is a true mosquito haven, and I can't help but believe that the average chicken would be absolutely miserable here. But our fayoumis crosses are just hunky-dory. I do get a mass shut down this time of year as far as eggs go, though. Looking back, if I had it to do over, I'd jsut have gone with White Leghorn. They are every bit as "fayoumis" as a Fayoumis when it comes to tolerance, resilience, body and personality, but they are much better egg layers.

For the most part, yes. I don't have any "pet" chickens that like being held or touched and no real meat-bird to speak of, but I also don't have any sick or stressed out birds. Our climate is a true mosquito haven, and I can't help but believe that the average chicken would be absolutely miserable here. But our fayoumis crosses are just hunky-dory. I do get a mass shut down this time of year as far as eggs go, though. Looking back, if I had it to do over, I'd jsut have gone with White Leghorn. They are every bit as "fayoumis" as a Fayoumis when it comes to tolerance, resilience, body and personality, but they are much better egg layers.

Thanks. Mine typically slow down about now also only getting about 13-14 eggs/day from 25 hens but it's normal. I have been working with a prepper mindset towards sustainability with regards to livestock in general and as far as chickens go now have a flock of knee high velociraptors that are great foragers, predator wary, don't roam far and are great layers. The EF's reported resistance to Marek's and Avian Influenza was what I was mostly interested in. I agree with the you on the laying capabilities of the Leghorns but the ones I had were so skittish that they acted like they had been beaten every day of their lives. The drama was too much lol. Again, thanks for your insights and have a great day.

Can someone please post a picture of Egyptian Fayoumi eggs with some medium commercial eggs for comparison? Would appreciate it. THanks.

Have you had eggs from your Fayoumi crossbreds? If so, what size and color were the eggs?
Here in Laos they are bring Fayoumi and crossbred Fayoumi to the market in Laos, but the eggs are from Vietnam. They tell the Lao people that the eggs are from local, free-range chickens, but that is a lie. They have been raised on commercial feeds. I am trying to get hens as I have a oure rooster, but so far no luck. I did see a pure hen at the farm of a friend, in another province, so I am hoping to get birds from him (he has a rooster also) or maybe he can locate some birds for me.

I haven't had eggs from the twins yet as they're still only a few months old. I hatched them out from their mother though. The only problem is I no longer have a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom