Egyptian Fayoumis Thread!

Same thing has actually happened to me. Of the four Fayoumi I purchased originally only the one rooster remains. Something ate all of my hens as they were adventuring around

I think it's simply a color issue. The Fayoumi stick out like a sore thumb. They have just the right combo of bad color and adventurousness to get themselves killed
Oddly my Rhode Island Whites are doing fine. Seems like they and several other birds including a porcelain D’Uccle would stand out too. So I am thinking either they are not sticking with the main flock hens, who might have been more predator aware or that adventurous streak is really getting them killed. Anyway deciding if I want to try again with them, I do love there markings.

Oddly my Rhode Island Whites are doing fine. Seems like they and several other birds including a porcelain D’Uccle would stand out too. So I am thinking either they are not sticking with the main flock hens, who might have been more predator aware or that adventurous streak is really getting them killed. Anyway deciding if I want to try again with them, I do love there markings.
I have a lavender Brahma/Orpington hen that also sticks out like a sore thumb, however she's smart enough to stay close to home. My Fayoumi hens were ranging out hundreds of feet into completely wild swampland. Other hens do also, but they blend in nicely

I truly think it's just the color. I had a white Leghorn invade my land once and I had to hunt him down through the swamp. If he had been any other color it would have been impossible to catch him

Earlier in this thread I posted about four Fayoumi X chicks being raised by an American Game hen. Three brown chicks, one white. The only one to vanish before adulthood was the white

The Fayoumi are beautiful and fun birds, but out of compassion for my animals I'll be avoiding all light colored birds in the future

I have a lavender Brahma/Orpington hen that also sticks out like a sore thumb, however she's smart enough to stay close to home. My Fayoumi hens were ranging out hundreds of feet into completely wild swampland. Other hens do also, but they blend in nicely

I truly think it's just the color. I had a white Leghorn invade my land once and I had to hunt him down through the swamp. If he had been any other color it would have been impossible to catch him

Earlier in this thread I posted about four Fayoumi X chicks being raised by an American Game hen. Three brown chicks, one white. The only one to vanish before adulthood was the white

The Fayoumi are beautiful and fun birds, but out of compassion for my animals I'll be avoiding all light colored birds in the future
Mine are the same color as the leaves on the trees and the ground so when they don't want to be seen they aren't lol

Pretty isn't practical lol
This is true, however I was never aiming for pretty in my flock. My main interest in the Egyptians was their supposed great ability at free-ranging

To be fair they probably do really good over in Egypt. I've heard that their color pattern matches very well with the sand and rocks along the Nile

That could be, their colours to the terrain. I have all black birds, red birds, blues, lavender, barred, laced, mixed patterns and colours, white, even greyish looking birds… breeds are different. I am wondering if the all white and silver laced birds are doing okay because of size too? But then there are the two Bantams? So a bit of a head scratcher. I do love the birds which remind me of fall leaves I have gotten out of EE stock…

That could be, their colours to the terrain. I have all black birds, red birds, blues, lavender, barred, laced, mixed patterns and colours, white, even greyish looking birds… breeds are different. Im wondering if the all white and silver laced birds are doing okay because of size too? But then there are the two Bantams? So a bit of a head scratcher. I do love the birds which remind me of fall leaves I have gotten out of chickens during the dayEE stock…
We live under a canopy of trees overhead so aerial predators are rarely a problem here. You won't find us on google maps its completely hidden.

Back
Top Bottom