Egyptian Fayoumis Thread!

One of my favorite American Gamefowl hens just hatched four half Fayoumi. I look forward to seeing how tough and beautiful they'll be. The broody mom just attacked my Alabai LGD as I typed this heh 😅
40.jpg

This is an easy self cleaning brooder for baby chicks
One of my favorite American Gamefowl hens just hatched four half Fayoumi. I look forward to seeing how tough and beautiful they'll be. The broody mom just attacked my Alabai LGD as I typed this heh 😅
View attachment 3615759
This guy raises wild type chickens crossed with various breeds to create chickens that can survive free ranging better than ordinary chickens.He raises chicks in predator proof self cleaning raised coops with soldier fly larvae living in the bedding.

I have a young Fayoumi, with any luck and this winter i am putting four breeding pens. One interesting possibility ( although i want to breed some purebred Fayoumis, i had a probable modern game rooster show up.. he is not overly aggressive and definetly sexually mature,but knows his place with the other roosters. He is probably tied for predator awareness and i did see him stand his ground with my top predator roo, my golden sebright , they both stood issuing warnings about a blue heron that landed on one of my horse troughs ( i lost a pullet this winter during a severe flood with an unusually hard freeze ) so we have been under a heat advisory everyday since late july with the exception of 4 days. We have not had rain in almost 3 months,highly unusual..herons are opportunistic and won't generally hunt like this unless something comes around and is an easy meal while they are around. Anyway ( my alpha roo is a jubilee orphington rules by size and demeanor, my original roo and the 2nd is my golden sebright, then i have an actual bbs ameraucana ( who only likes birds with fluffy cheeks mille fleur duccle,easter eggers and a blue ameraucana, a green queen bantam, eddie the modetn game , a very teeny i believe sebright x oegb , and a really cool sebright x egger that is absolutely beautiful and bigger than the egger mom and the only rooster back then was the golden sebright

I digress..being in south la i want to play around with the fayoumi and some other birds.. i had most get very mild fowl pox from the killer mosquitos none had anything but minor lesions but she got none ( oegb and pure sebrights didnt either)

I've only met one man that clipped the wings of his Fayoumi and he sold them all to me because of how badly it was going for him. I would never clip the wings of any bird, but especially not a feral breed like the Fayoumi that's meant for free-ranging. They need wings to evade predators
I ended up rehoming them to a friend with a lot more space than I have. I think they will be much happier free ranging on many acres than being confined to a 1/2 acre yard.

I gotta say, my Fayoumi hens are incredibly cruel and aggressive. It's unusual for me to see such behavior in my flock. They swarm the food bowl first and aggressively attack anything else that gets close

The pecking order is:
Asil > Fayoumi = RIR > American Gamefowl = Red Junglefowl > all else

The Fayoumi rooster plays peacemaker but he definitely has favorites and will only attempt to keep the peace for so long before he starts hitting women. Not sure how comfortable I am with this behavior. Typically I try to interfere as little as possible, but cruelty is the only thing that truly gets on my nerves

Here's half of the flock around 15 minutes into dinner tonight
51.jpg

I have not had much success with them yet. I am thinking of trying again. My birds free range and the Egyptians despite being athletic enough and one would think aware enough, the predators have taken them out. Meanwhile the other hens are fine.🤷🏻‍♀️

I have not had much success with them yet. I am thinking of trying again. My birds free range and the Egyptians despite being athletic enough and one would think aware enough, the predators have taken them out. Meanwhile the other hens are fine.🤷🏻‍♀️
Same thing has actually happened to me. Of the four Fayoumi I purchased originally only the one rooster remains. Something ate all of my hens as they were adventuring around

I think it's simply a color issue. The Fayoumi stick out like a sore thumb. They have just the right combo of bad color and adventurousness to get themselves killed

Back
Top Bottom