Egyptian Fayoumis Thread!

The little cockerel “Ata”
3DA0FE0D-E560-4ABF-9019-EE071020B5BF.jpeg

C4280FA3-1EA0-428D-B186-13BD86AFE7D4.jpeg

The bigger Cockerel “Abasi”, he’s mad and a bit over dramatic that I was trying to photograph him.
72FC2757-2198-40BA-9294-E415616E38C6.jpeg

Silly boy flopped down in protest… but we got a nice shot of his wings.
5D33D800-96F4-45BD-8D21-03630D27CB44.jpeg

They are about 12 weeks

Attachments

• 6296533B-6587-4944-847C-0FB7E28B7A5A.jpeg
    6296533B-6587-4944-847C-0FB7E28B7A5A.jpeg
    655.2 KB · Views: 3
Sorry you dislike the birds, @Zawisty. I introduced EFs into my flock because I lost about 2/3rds of my original flock to Marek's Disease and had to do something. EFs were the answer.

True, they are not heavy layers, but when you just need eggs for two people and a few close friends, and have other hens in your flock that are heavier layers, the 175 eggs per year is a moot point when you are trying to inject some disease resistant genes into your flock.

I have only lost one EF hen and that was to a heavy parasite load. And since I use my older surplus cross bred roosters for freezer meat that I slow cook for stock and use the stock for cooking and supplemental food for our dogs, having heavy bodied birds is not a big thing.

Most of all I love the fact that the roosters are gentlemen. My Game bird cross roosters have blinded and even killed one another but not Tut. He is the gentlest rooster I've seen even more gentle than my Buff Orpingtons and will walk away before he is maimed or maims another rooster.

Today I set 8 eggs for a Good Friday Hatch. All EFs and frankly, I'm praying for a few good roosters to add to my flock.
Reading this makes me so happy! I have lost almost half my flock to Marek’s this year. I ordered just a few EF pullets to see how they do. If they thrive then I plan to get some roos to breed them and cross breed with my survivors. After reading your comment now I’m thinking I should have gone for some straight run right away but I already ordered.

Reading this makes me so happy! I have lost almost half my flock to Marek’s this year. I ordered just a few EF pullets to see how they do. If they thrive then I plan to get some roos to breed them and cross breed with my survivors. After reading your comment now I’m thinking I should have gone for some straight run right away but I already ordered.
Jewel I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with MD in your flock. It's a Witch to deal with but it looks like you have a plan.

I invite you to read my article here in BYC:https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/

The 8 eggs I set hatched 6 birds for me, three males three females. I lost one of my older birds to suspected botulism last year. Keep in mind, these birds will eat ANYTHING even if it isn't good for them so extra care needs to be taken with what they can get their beaks on. Mine got into feed mixed with bedding that had gotten wet in a compost pile. She was the only EF to get sick.

I also hatched a half EF rooster with a different batch of eggs. He is a hoot. Very gentle and beautiful with meaty breasts and better musculature than the EF birds. He free ranges with his brother from time to time and it's a riot seeing them gallop across the yard towards me when they see me come out of the house.

To date I haven't been able to hatch a EF cross hen. Can't explain it but I have 5 half EF and Amish barnyard cross birds (the latter resistant to MD) and all 5 are blessed roosters. It's like, come on guys give me a break.

I think it's safe to say that EFs played a part in saving my flock.

Thank you so much for your response. I actually read your article about a month ago. I’ll admit it made me tear up a bit but it also gave me hope. I’m just starting my 3rd year of chicken keeping and Marek’s has been sucking the fun out of it for the last 6 months. After reading your comment about the EF Roo I called the company I ordered the pullets from and asked if they could add a male to my order and they said they would. I don’t have any roosters in my flock so he will be the first. I’m really hoping this breed helps my flock move forward. Thank you for the info about them eating anything, that’s great to know! Best wishes to you and your flock.

Jewel I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with MD in your flock. It's a Witch to deal with but it looks like you have a plan.

I invite you to read my article here in BYC:https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/

The 8 eggs I set hatched 6 birds for me, three males three females. I lost one of my older birds to suspected botulism last year. Keep in mind, these birds will eat ANYTHING even if it isn't good for them so extra care needs to be taken with what they can get their beaks on. Mine got into feed mixed with bedding that had gotten wet in a compost pile. She was the only EF to get sick.

I also hatched a half EF rooster with a different batch of eggs. He is a hoot. Very gentle and beautiful with meaty breasts and better musculature than the EF birds. He free ranges with his brother from time to time and it's a riot seeing them gallop across the yard towards me when they see me come out of the house.

To date I haven't been able to hatch a EF cross hen. Can't explain it but I have 5 half EF and Amish barnyard cross birds (the latter resistant to MD) and all 5 are blessed roosters. It's like, come on guys give me a break.

I think it's safe to say that EFs played a part in saving my flock.
microchick,
Since you seem to have a lot of experience raising roosters I am wondering if you can share your opinion on handling them as chicks. I’ve heard don’t handle them much and handle them a lot. I looked on here for an article but wasn’t able to find one about raising them from day old chicks.
Thank you!
Jewels

I introduced four Egyptian Fayoumi about a week ago into my large free range flock. They're all around 8 months old. Three females and one male. The Fayoumi rooster immediately tried to fight my Indio Gigante broodcock that was several times his own size and more than twice his age. I stopped them and they've had a truce since then

I tried integrating them all into the flock more by separating brother and sisters, however even with my Fayoumi rooster incarcerated his sisters absolutely refuse to abandon him and integrate with the main flock. They refuse to breed with my Indio. They are too proud

These are genuinely the most noble and beautiful birds I've ever had on my land. I can't wait to release this dignified creature and have him genetically influence my entire flock for years to come

Back
Top Bottom