Egyptian Fayoumis Thread!

Pics
Actually, the name should be Fayoumi - capitalized, because the breed is named after a district (?) - Fayoum, in Egypt. Like Rhode Island reds.

Okay,I'm gonna join this thread,because I got my first Fayoumi frommeyer hatchery. I love it already. It has spindly legs,awesome coloring,and such a weird,spunky personality. But I have a few nooby questions. What age do cockerels start crowing? What age do pullets start laying? How predator resistant are they? How well do they fly? Do they lay in seasons,or year round like regular chickens? Do they go broody(and if so,do they make good mothers)? Lol,I have a lot of nooby questions
1f602.png

My hen started laying at 6 months. She stopped laying when it got cold and dark. Had an egg from her this week for the first time since November. And she does crow. And she is an escape artist. She flies well and it's taken a 7 foot fence to keep her in the yard. She's got a huge personality and rules the flock. Wouldn't give her up
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png

According to Internet hens start to lay at 5 months and cockerels crow at 4 months - or earlier. Very early maturing.They have a reputation for being very self-sufficient on free-range. I think they are very alert birds, but it depends on the kind of predator. They are good flyers. I think they tend to be seasonal layers, but if you gave them extra light at night, they might continue through the winter as we do with our RIRs and Leghorns. Eggs are quite small, but that is a result of mass selection for egg production among hens that are free-ranging and probably not fed extra. They are not prone to broodiness in year one, but might go broody in year two or later.I have no mature hen yet, but I think they would make good mothers as they are very natural birds. My Fayoumi rooster is an excellent rooster and really likes the chicks. He often puts his head down among them and they pick at his wattles and so on. He is quite big for a Fayoumi, but don't know his weight.

@Folly's place@JessHeller@JimArcherthank you for the info
1f604.png
@JessHeller,Fayoumi hens can crow????I have never heard that,lol
1f602.png
. I was reading up on them. @JimArcher I read that roosters will take part in raising the chicks,especially in multi rooster flocks. They will divide up duties. Like gathering some food for the hens,raising older chicks the rest of the way so the hens can go broody again,protecting the hens/chicks,etc.

This is my hen, Rhonda, who is a year old this month. And yes, she does crow, if the coop isn't opened up at sunrise she is out making a lot of noise. Last summer we were afraid the neighbors would start complaining. She also mounts the other hens. She is definitely the alpha with a capital A.

I'm buying two day-old Egyptian Fayoumis pullets (I hope) from a local breeder on 4/8! So excited!! I have this crazy dream of free-ranging even though I can't have a rooster. These girls are my substitute to watch over my Leghorn, Ancona, and Hamburg hens. Hopefully their keen ears will do me some good when coyotes come around during the day!

Back
Top Bottom