Elector PSP in Laundry (Children in Home)

corinnesonja

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2020
La Honda, California USA
I bought some Elector PSP for our chicken coop mites. I bought the vial at the feed store and put it in my canvas bag for safekeeping. Well, it leaked. I didn’t want to throw the bag away so I threw it in the wash.
We are about ten loads past that day and the drum still smells like Elector PSP! I swear my clothes smell faintly like it too! But it could also just be the Tide pod smell. Paranoid.
We have a baby. I wash her clothes in the machine (but with natural detergent).
I read Elector is not toxic but I’m really stressed about this. We can’t get the smell out of the dryer. It’s pretty faint but still there. Is this dangerous to my baby???

My husband has spilled diesel fuel on his clothes working on farm equipment, and that odor is very hard to get rid of in the washer. Most washers have a deep clean wash cycle (listed in HE manuals,) where you can use bleach to clean it. I did that, and it took care of the odor. Look at your label on the ElectorPSP to see if there are petroleum distillates.

Use a 1/3 of a bottle of mouthwash in the washing machine with the clothes (diesel or otherwise). Follow up with another wash with your regular soap. After doing so, make sure the dryer is wiped down with soap and water, and a light coat of mouth wash. Use hot water. Hot dryer heat.

We knew zip about mites. And our hens and roo are losing feathers. Not molting, too uniform picking by themselves. Since they ate the feathers, we were told to increase protein and used Feather Fixer. No change. We've tried Hen Heal. No change. Fowl CBD oil. No change. Saddles - we couldn't catch them. Scrubbing the roost and coop with hot vinegar water. No change. Increasing DE/sand piles. No change though they use it a lot. Used Elector PSP after a thorough cleanse yesterday. They are still scratching. Tonight it's the vents, under the wings, and chest/behind the neck. At bedtime. I've never seen this before but since - despite two types of fencing - small birds get in - I suspect that's why I have only seen them this time around owning and raising chickens in a more open run. IDK. I am not sure I've everything down that we've tried since May. They aren't picked on by other hens or the roo. But boy do they scratch. Now I'm worried WE are going to get mites!

Back
Top Bottom