Electric and heating issue

tennesseequail

Chirping
Mar 6, 2015
So someone has managed to take down a pole with a transformer on it we are told 24 to 36 hours

My situation..

Group a is 2 weeks and 3 days old they are gaining weight quickly and lots of feathers. I put them outside today as it was 75 and they seem.ok.

Group b is like 3 days old they are under a heat lamp inside

Group c is in incubator

I have deep cycle marine batteries for back up power but I cant run all 3 at once for 36 hours I am thinking the oldest ones can be outside during the day today and tomorrow and under a lower watt bulb keeping in the high 70s

How low can I run the 3 day old grp?

That's tough. I would prioritize power for Group C. Group A will probably be okay without nighttime heat for a day or two, especially if kept inside. Group B will need some sort of heat once the battery's out—any way you can heat water, put some warm jugs in the brooder? I hope they get your wired back up quicker than expected!

Have you thought about a wool hen? It is a small dark box that you fill with newspaper clippings, wood chips, or, hence the name, wool. They keep themselves warm, and I've had it work before. Hope this helps.

Build a small fire if you can and put some bricks around it (or old cast iron pot) and let them warm to the desired temps. Alternate them and in the c group you can swap them out as they cool down. If you are in town, just put some on the grill and no one should complain about a fire, if they do just tell them your grilling out!
clay brick will hold heat for about an hour. A 2x2 stack of bricks would hold the heat longer if you have the room.

Be careful, bricks and rocks can pop and shatter if they get too hot and last thing you want is a hot rock chip in your eye. ????? Just thinking ..... ya might want to wear gloves as well while handling them if they are hot.
If too hot, just let them cool a little in the b group. They wont get too close or hop on a hot brick any more than you would. Just watch out for piling.

Back
Top Bottom