Elevated dust bath

tbecker826

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
I am using old tires for dust baths for my chickens. The problem is that they kick so much straw and other stuff in there that they end up not using them. I was thinking of elevating them on a pallet or something to help keep stuff from getting inside them. Does anyone have a suggestion how to go about doing that? What kind of bottom would I have to use in the tire to keep the sand in it instead of falling thru the pallet? Any ideas how to keep the tires clean? Do you think its impossible?
Open for suggestions. Thanks.

I would think a pallet and a piece of scrap plywood would do the trick. If not I would try attaching 2 pallets together to make the bath higher. Good luck, hopefully you will get some additional ideas.

I try not to use pallets. It encourages rodents (and snakes) to take up residence. I use tires and don't have this problem at all. Do you have pictures of your setup?
Yes I have photos. PIC setup is the whole playground area, I call it. It was one enclosure and we added a second and linked them together. PIC Setup2slant shows you kind of how the yard slopes. My whole yard is a very large downward slope. Unfortunately I live on a hill and I am in the middle of the hill. PIC Tiremess is what they end up looking like when I have straw in there for the winter to keep them warmer. As you can see they kick all the straw in the tires. So I was thinking if I elevated them, that it would resolve this issue. I might just build a platform that is 2ft x 2ft for each tire out of pressure treated wood and raise them about 1 foot.

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 35
  • setup2slant.jpg
    setup2slant.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 32
  • tiremess.jpg
    tiremess.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 32
  • wholesetup.jpg
    wholesetup.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Yes I have photos. PIC setup is the whole playground area, I call it. It was one enclosure and we added a second and linked them together. PIC Setup2slant shows you kind of how the yard slopes. My whole yard is a very large downward slope. Unfortunately I live on a hill and I am in the middle of the hill. PIC Tiremess is what they end up looking like when I have straw in there for the winter to keep them warmer. As you can see they kick all the straw in the tires. So I was thinking if I elevated them, that it would resolve this issue. I might just build a platform that is 2ft x 2ft for each tire out of pressure treated wood and raise them about 1 foot.
Do you fill the entire area with hay/straw in the winter? Mine are in their outdoor runs and I use ramial wood chips as a bedding.

I usually just give them half a bale for that area its 6ft x 20ft. Because the yard slopes it all ends up on the tire side. It slope front to back and side to side. I have tried wood chips it always ends up in the tires. I might have to rearrange again after winter or try to build a platform to raise them.

I try not to use pallets. It encourages rodents (and snakes) to take up residence. I use tires and don't have this problem at all. Do you have pictures of your setup?
I don't use pallets, either. Mine dust bathe under a large plastic cement square on top of 4 cinder blocks. It provides protection from flying predators and a nice cool area in the hot months to relax under. We also have trees that provide few areas where a hawk, etc would be comfortable trying to fly in and get out of.
I was just addressing your need for hight with the pallets.

I don't use pallets, either. Mine dust bathe under a large plastic cement square on top of 4 cinder blocks. It provides protection from flying predators and a nice cool area in the hot months to relax under. We also have trees that provide few areas where a hawk, etc would be comfortable trying to fly in and get out of.
I was just addressing your need for hight with the pallets.
Thats a good idea too. Thank you

I have no helpful ideas. But, if I die and come back as a chicken, I want to be one of your chickens. That setup looks like tons of fun!

Back
Top Bottom