Elevated Feeder to Defeat Goats

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
Currently, I'm commingling goats and sheep with chickens. All are free-range with in an 8-acre pasture. Free-range because animals limiting where they go so far, rather than the fence limiting movement. Problem that has become evident is where the goats are consuming feed left out for chickens. Scattering feed over ground helps some although the sheep and goats get more than I want them to get. I have been trying to place feeders on of various existing structures although goats can get into those used so far by standing on hind legs. Shortly I will be using a bird feeder where food is better than 6 feet up. Will be fun making so if holds enough feed for the chickens.

Approach will be a largish bird feeder with a stiffer supporting post. The bird feeder will be erected near deck out far enough away so goats can't reach it although I can still load it. A couple chickens will be trained how to reach feeder and others will quickly follow.

Approach will be a largish bird feeder with a stiffer supporting post. The bird feeder will be erected near deck out far enough away so goats can't reach it although I can still load it. A couple chickens will be trained how to reach feeder and others will quickly follow.
if that works, its briliant. Doesn't help me with my ducks, but I'm sick of my unproductive ducks....

My best success has been using panels, very like a creep feeder. The openings are big enough for a chicken but not a goat, I basically fenced off a corner. This does not work on baby ND or pygmy goats -- anywhere a chicken can fit, a baby mini goat will go.

Back
Top Bottom