EMERGENCT PLEASE HELP hen throwing up brown liquid, what do I do

I can not find the source of the blood, it’s just there but there’s no fresh blood
She was spitting up the brown fluid when we picked her up, and kept going sometimes on her own, sometimes when we turned her to check her symptoms out
She’s not molting
Her last egg was a couple years ago
And I will use coconut oil

And she hasn’t had fluid for around three hours and has only pooped once in that time, but it got stuck on her feathers so I trimmed them so I could monitor her poop bettwr
There are some bugs around her vent I think they are lice
Stop turning her over and pressing on the crop.
If you need to examine her, pick her up with your hand supporting her abdomen, not the crop. Stand her on a table so she has her feet under her and then examine her closely.

I see what looks like fairly fresh blood on the vent feathers. Check again for the source. Is in the poop when she poops or does she have a wound, a broken blood feather - figure out where the blood is coming from.

If she's got bugs on her, those need to be addressed. Permethrin poultry dust is a good way to get rid of bugs. Dust her making sure to work the dust all the way through feathers and down to the skin.

She hasn't had fluid (where?!) in about 3 hours - do you mean the crop has not been fluid filled in 3 hours or she's not drank fluids in 3 hours.
If the crop has not filled with fluid in 3 hours and is now empty, then that's pretty good, but she needs to be drinking and staying hydrated.

Feel inside her vent for an egg.

Evaluate her and let us know how she's doing.

To treat crop problems - read this article - Sour Crop is treated with antifungal medications.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I only turned her over once, but thanks for letting me know, by fluid I mean she hasn’t had brown liquid coming out of her mouth, and the blood was not in her poop. I don’t have access to permethrin right now, but I’ll get some, for now I can treat her with a mite spray and de. I don’t feel any eggs in her vent.

Update she hasn’t eaten or drunken anything yet, but she did poop but it was liquify again, I don’t have a picture of it, she can stand but not much has happens yet

I only turned her over once, but thanks for letting me know, by fluid I mean she hasn’t had brown liquid coming out of her mouth, and the blood was not in her poop. I don’t have access to permethrin right now, but I’ll get some, for now I can treat her with a mite spray and de. I don’t feel any eggs in her vent.
Mite spray would be good to use.

If she's not laid an egg, then I'd also consider giving her a Calcium tablet now, then once daily for a few days.
She may be having trouble pushing an egg out.

Provide her with food and water during waking hours. Keep her bottom cleaned.

I'd still try to figure out where the blood came from, could have been a coincidental broken feather, but when a hen is lethargic, not able to get up, etc. then blood is a concern.

update, she hasn’t eaten or drank on her own but I got her to swallow a little water and a ti y bit of yogurt, I found a bump on the top of her foot, does anyone know if it’s related to the sour crop or if it’s an issue. She hasn’t pooped since yesterday
6AC0B708-5061-4111-A6E6-64F587C42943.jpeg

Attachments

• B712C46F-5698-4AD5-AB7C-2A98FDF07610.jpeg
    B712C46F-5698-4AD5-AB7C-2A98FDF07610.jpeg
    652.7 KB · Views: 8
update, she hasn’t eaten or drank on her own but I got her to swallow a little water and a ti y bit of yogurt, I found a bump on the top of her foot, does anyone know if it’s related to the sour crop or if it’s an issue. She hasn’t pooped since yesterday View attachment 3706306
I wouldn't worry about the foot right now. If she's not pooped since yesterday, that's a much bigger concern.

Did you feel inside her vent for an egg?

I wouldn't worry about the foot right now. If she's not pooped since yesterday, that's a much bigger concern.

Did you feel inside her vent for an egg?
No I don’t feel an egg, but I will continue to check on everything, and she ate a few mealworms today, so I think that’s progress since she hasn’t eaten in her own in two days. I will have an update on around an hour because I’ll be home

Have you gotten rid of the lice/mites?

I'd focus on encouraging her to eat her normal feed, it can be given wet or dry. See that she's drinking well and check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

If her crop is not emptying, then address that symptom. Do keep in mind that a lot of times there's an underlying conditions that is causing the crop to be slow.

This article is very good - try to read it all and determine if she needs to be treated, it outlines the methods and steps used to treat crop problems - methods I use on my own birds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Have you gotten rid of the lice/mites?

I'd focus on encouraging her to eat her normal feed, it can be given wet or dry. See that she's drinking well and check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

If her crop is not emptying, then address that symptom. Do keep in mind that a lot of times there's an underlying conditions that is causing the crop to be slow.

This article is very good - try to read it all and determine if she needs to be treated, it outlines the methods and steps used to treat crop problems - methods I use on my own birds.

Yes I have been treating lice, but I’m unsure if they’re completely gone yet, and her crop has been feeling squishy like it’s partially full of water in the morning

Back
Top Bottom