EMERGENCY!!! Newly hatched duckling help!!

hanjj033

Chirping
Apr 17, 2015
Australia
Hi guys, emergency help needed and graphic pictures ahead. I have had a duckling just hatch that has what appears to be a protruding fluid filled sack out the back of its head. Its still alive, what is going on and what can I do to help it. Or should I just put it out of its misery. Help please!
!

That looks really bad, I don't know what you should do and the forum is pretty quiet at this time :( I wouldn't give up yet if the little one is hanging on, try to keep her in a place that's clean and soft so the sack doesn't rupture. Or keep her in the incubator and take out the egg shells. What breed are the parents?

@Amiga @Miss Lydia @Lacrystol ???

That looks really bad, I don't know what you should do and the forum is pretty quiet at this time
sad.png
I wouldn't give up yet if the little one is hanging on, try to keep her in a place that's clean and soft so the sack doesn't rupture. Or keep her in the incubator and take out the egg shells. What breed are the parents?

@Amiga @Miss Lydia @Lacrystol ???
I agree with Kroelies I haven't done hatching myself leave that up to the ducks but I have seen this before. Lets hope someone with hatching experience will come on soon.

@WVduckchick

@caesargirl

I know! Im in Australia, and the time difference between here and America sucks! its still in the incubator and i have propped it up in some tissues so it cant damage the head blob. The potential parents are all mixed breed ducks, but none of them are related, so inbreeding defects arent an issue. Im at such a loss as to what to do, because I cant find any information on the internet as to what this could be!!!

I know! Im in Australia, and the time difference between here and America sucks! its still in the incubator and i have propped it up in some tissues so it cant damage the head blob. The potential parents are all mixed breed ducks, but none of them are related, so inbreeding defects arent an issue. Im at such a loss as to what to do, because I cant find any information on the internet as to what this could be!!!
For now just let it rest and if you have other ducklings in the bator your going to have to keep them away from this lil one.

I agree with Kroelies I haven't done hatching myself leave that up to the ducks but I have seen this before. Lets hope someone with hatching experience will come on soon.

I agree too Miss Lydia. I leave my eggs under my ducks as much as possible, but our chooks are fiends when it comes to tearing up duck nests =S
This incubator batch was a low hatch rate, with more then 50% of eggs not hatching. I have had 3 hatch successfully and 1 mushy duckling. So I think there must have been some issue int he incubator, even though I followed the rules for incubating eggs.
But this is something I have never encountered or even heard of. Im really worried and just dont want the duckling to suffer!

[COLOR=1D2129]Hi guys, emergency help needed and graphic pictures ahead. I have had a duckling just hatch that has what appears to be a protruding fluid filled sack out the back of its head. Its still alive, what is going on and what can I do to help it. Or should I just put it out of its misery. Help please![/COLOR] [COLOR=1D2129]![/COLOR]
is this duck a crested??

Sad to say, but it looks like part of the brain developed outside of the skull. In humans, I believe it's called encephalocele, and can often be corrected via surgery in infancy. However, this little one's chances are slim. I dont want to sound grim, but he probably won't make it very long. But that doesn't mean you can't try. It's hard to see what exactly it is, so maybe it's something else. Do like everyone says. Prepare yourself and don't get your hopes up, but keep him warm and comfortable, in a quiet place. If he dries and perks up a little, try offering some water with vitamins and electrolytes. Adding sav-a-chick supplements to your water is great for all chicks, and especially important for this little one. Good luck, and keep us updated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom