EMERGENCY!!! Newly hatched duckling help!!

I just saw the tag, sorry! But I don't really have much more help to offer. Its been a few hours, how is he doing now?

Crested would have been my first guess also, but if that's not possible, then I'm at a loss. But agree, keep him on something soft, and away from any others that could harm him. Supplement with vitamins, and hope for the best!

Please let us know how it goes...
hugs.gif

I haven't worked with crested ducks, but isn't there a population of ducks that carry the gene but don't have a crest?

I think that if you breed a crested (or crested carrier) with a non-crested you get a population that are carriers, but only ½ show the crest. I wouldn't rule it out right away unless you've had these ducks for 3 generations.

I hope you're not looking at a case of encephalocele. Sorry, I don't know what to say other than I hope you can make this little one comfortable until you can get a better idea of what's going on.

I haven't worked with crested ducks, but isn't there a population of ducks that carry the gene but don't have a crest?

I think that if you breed a crested (or crested carrier) with a non-crested you get a population that are carriers, but only ½ show the crest. I wouldn't rule it out right away unless you've had these ducks for 3 generations.

I hope you're not looking at a case of encephalocele. Sorry, I don't know what to say other than I hope you can make this little one comfortable until you can get a better idea of what's going on.

I'm hoping to get some idea of this in a couple of weeks....

I have a female, sitting on 11 eggs, due in less than 2 weeks. She was previously with 3 males (1 was crested), until the boys got too "uh-hum" for her, and I separated 2 of the males, including the crested one, from the other male/female pair. Before the separation, I hatched some of her eggs, and 3 hatched with crests, so I assumed they were all fathered by the same male. Now all of the eggs she is sitting on "should" be fertilized by the male that she is currently with, non-crested. But I am still curious to see if any that she hatches will be crested. Whether the gene is in their line, or their parents line. I guess I won't know positively either way, but I am paying attention to it.

From what I understood the crested gene is a recessive lethal one, and all ducks that have the gene have a crest (the crest can be very small). Ducklings who get two pairs of the gene die before or shortly after hatching...

Maybe the incubator has been too hot during early development. I hope your duckling makes it but I think he has brain or skull issues
sad.png

Nothing I can add here - yes, this is serious - and ducks' systems can do amazing things. I would provide support - temperature, humidity/moisture, physical propping up, and tell the little one you care. Prayers. This may be a case of hospice care.

Not a chance! All the parents are mixed breed ducks with no history of cresting. And they are all unrelated, so there in no inbreeding.
Is he out of the shell and what does he look like so far? I have seen One case of a duck like this and amazingly the little guy survived.. key is to avoid infection. If he's out of the shell can he walk yet?

To me it doesn't quite look like the brain is outside his skull, looks more like a bubble of Blood which could be an internally bleeding issue. Hemorrhage, Need a better pic. can you get a pic that shows directly on the problem..

Hey guys, so almost 24 hours later and blobby duckling is still alive.
It is running around like crazy like a normal duckling, a little wobbly so it may have neurological issues, but ill take that as it comes.. Its still got the blob on the back of its head however the skin appears to have hardened slightly and has gone opaque, so it no longer looks like a blister. It has a little bit of a crest but the lump is still exposed.
Another duckling that hatched at the same time has got a definite tiny crest on its head. Any ideas as to how the crested gene can randomly occur in a clutch? Every single one of my ducks is from a different genetic line.

Back
Top Bottom