Emergency!! Plzz Help!!!

LaBaze

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 14, 2011
Covington, LA
We have had our younger chickens dying daily, they go from acting normal to just standing there not doing anything all puffed up and hunched over to death! We have had about 3-4 two month olds die so far, we currently have two in the hutch away from others but they just keep dropping like flies and getting sick! We have a HUGE flock of (including chicks) 80+ not including turkeys, geese, ducks, and goats. It has only infected the 2 month olds so far but I dont want it to spread!

If anyone knows what it is and a possible cure please help!!!

I could be wrong but I think I have read that they can have cocci without having bloody stools. Have you checked for mites and lice? If they are already infested with worms or external parisites then DE won't do anything to help them. Also, if you are using DE as a preventative it needs to be food grade, not the stuff that is used in pool filters.

With cocci-a lot of times, by the time you see blood in the feces, the cocci has progressed pretty far, so I wouldn't rule it out at this point.
Lethargy? Standing around fluffed out? Sounds like cocci to me.
I would treat the entire flock with Corid.

Good thing that you caught this early on. Sounds exactly like cocci. I just successfully treated one a few week ago. Bloody poop is a later stage, to be more concerned of.

This is LABAZE's mom. Thank you all for the advice. I have a question. Everyone is saying the bloody stool is a later stage. None of them got bloody stool at all. They died within hours of first acting oddly. I am going to get the Corid first thing in the morning, just in case. If I treat them for cocci when they dont have it, will it be a problem? Also, we have 60 or so chickens along with a few geese and turkeys. Do I have to dose each bird or is the Corid introduced through their regular water supply buckets? This is the first time we've had a problem in the nearly 4 years we've had chickens, so I'm not familiar yet with most illnesses. Thanks again for all the help
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom