will antibiotics from feed store treat coccidia?

o-townchicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 5, 2011
hello,
i am the one who has lost several chicks to coccidia(?) i live a ways from town. the closest farm store i could get to today only had antibiotics for their water. will this treat the cocci? the corrid that everyone talks about, can i get that from a regular feed store or do i have to go to a vet?

the rest of my 6 chicks seem to be doing well. there is one that was droopy and puffed. put the antibiotics in the water. she is eating well and drinking. but, she is still puffed up and wont stop chirping. should i give it more time? i feel helpless, dont know what to do. oh, also under her butt is greasy. i keep washing it with wet q-tips, but still looks gross......???

antibiotics will be useless im afraid. you need an anticoccidial/sulpha based drug

amprolium, clopidol, Baycox, ESB-3, Toltrazuri, sulmet, corrid are just a few names and ive read of folic acid being useful but dont know how true that is?

raw untreated milk can help soothe the chickens insides too...its an old fashioned approach to coccidiose but worked in the olden days so why not now? if you live out in the country or have cows yourself perhaps try giving the chickens some of the milk (maybe bread soaked in it if they wont drink it neat)
hopefully someone else will come along shortly with more advice for you
smile.png

Last edited:
Also while you are waiting for the medication to be sent if you have to order it; Raw Apple Cider Vinegar will help as it kills bacteria and is very good for the birds as well. Cocci is a bacterial illness. I mix it in 5% in their water.. It works to help prevent Cocci and will not treat it but it may help some if you have to wait a few days..

Quote:
ACV is definitely beneficial for chickens in many ways, especially helping with calcium absorption....cocci is a protazoa and there are different kinds. ACV wont prevent coccidia.

Before doing the antibiotic route try this my nighbor found it online somewhere and swears by it.

THE MILK FLUSH
for the treatment of
coccidiosis
4 lbs. of dried milk
2 lbs. of corn meal
2 lbs. of oatmeal
1 lb. of bran

This should be fed for 3-
5 days with no other feed
except greens.
(why this works):
the large amount of milk
makes the chicks thirsty
causing them to drink.
The milk sugar will
turn acid in the
stomach and the
added water will
flush out the system.

thank you so much everyone for all of the advice. i really love this website. everyone is so helpful. i and my remaining chicks thank you.

I have even added dry milk granules to the starter crumble during a bout with coccidiosis. Raw milk is an old remedy farmers used to use, and probably still do---the flush above does seem to help.

Cocci is very common, more like having worms than an actual disease, since it's caused by a protozoan, not a bacteria or virus, which is why antibiotics aren't the way to go to fix it. In humid, warm climates, it's more widespread. There are 9 types of oocycsts that cause it, and the birds eventually become immune to the ones in your soil, though if they go to another location that has a type your soil does not, they could come down with cocci as an older bird. The oocycsts feed off the B vitamin, thiamine, so amprolium in the feeds and in Corid is a thiamine-blocker. It starves out the oocysts, basically.

Back
Top Bottom