Help -- Cocci but chicks on medicated feed

louieloui

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 12, 2010
I lost one of my 6 1/2 week old pullets to what I'm pretty sure is Cocci and I know at least 3 of my other pullets have bloody diarrhea. The pullet I lost, and 4 of my other pullet chicks, have been on medicated feed since I got them around 2 wks. of age. Last week I purchased a 5 wk. old Silkie and a 2 wk. old Ameraucana. The Silkie had some bloody'ish stool, yet when I looked it up it looked more like shed intestinal lining. Since she was acting completely normal I thought that's what we were dealing with--especially given that she seemed a little stressed from everything. However, I now realize that it was/is apparently Cocci. :eek:(

I have no idea if I can give my chicks medication since they're already on medicated feed and it says not to give anything medicated while they're on it. Is this true? Or is there anything I can give them? I'm so worried about them and don't want to lose anymore. All of them, except for one, are acting fine. Sassy is normally peppy and well...sassy...but today she's very quiet and subdued. :eek:( Please help!

I would seperate the ones who aren't sick to try and stop the spread.
Plus make sure they have fresh bedding at all time or this could make them sick. You don't want poo everywhere or wet shavings.

I would put them on some medication but that's just me . At least you can try to save them. If you do nothing they are surely to die. At least if you try to help them and they die you know you tried.

Hope this helps,
Michelle

Quote:
But what type of medication and how much? Corid is Amprolium, right? They're already on Amprolium (113.5 g. per ton) from their feed and it says not to give them ANYTHING medicated while they're on it. So what is safe to give them and how much?

Amprolium doesn't prevent cocci completely, but it usually keeps the infection mild so small chicks can build a natural resistance to the protozoa. If you think your birds have cocci, they need antibiotics. Treat them with Sulmet Drinking Water Solution 12.5%. Dosage for cocci is: 2 tbsp. per gallon of water. It's best if it is mixed fresh daily, so if you birds won't drink a whole gallon, make a smaller batch i.e. 1 tbsp. per 1/2 gallon or 2 tsp. per quart off water. This is the dosage for the first two days. Then for the next 4 days, cut the dosage in half, i.e. 1 tbsp. per gallon of water.

Sulmet is an antibiotic and very effective on coccidiosis infections as well as some other bacterial infections.

Quote:
Thank you for the info! Do you know where I can get Sulmet from? I called Tractor Supply but couldn't reach any at the local stores. :eek:( It doesn't help that it's 4th of July and everything is closed. :eek:( Can I give them anything in the meantime?

Get the sick ones away from the ones you think are ok...My feed store sells Sulmet, I have never saw it at TSC. Durmaycin is sold at TSC and it is a antibotic...about 5.50 per bag, you mix in the water...Hope they get better....
sad.png

We have this problem most everytime we go to buy chicks its mostly the people who sell them have to many in their brooder boxes. We as well lost around 15 chickens due to cocci and still to this day have problems keeping it out of our pen since it was introduced the first time. What we found to work the best was sulmet as well. We clean our pen 3 times a week cleaned the food and water bowl with clorox and raised them off the floor so they couldn't poo in their food. Also We mixed clorox water and sprayed the pen down really good and put lime down in the pen floor it won't hurt them at all. Put the lime on heavy. We also read in some of the info that over feeding them is great when you have the problem because it keeps them from pecking on the floor where their poo is. It just makes for alot more cleaning but it worked with ours. I hope some of the info I gave you helps and good luck.
fl.gif
Hope you don't lose anymore chicks.

Last edited:
I would not use Sulmet unless you have to--it makes intestinal bleeding continue and is really hard on them. Corid is far easier on their intestines and yes, it's amprolium, but it's in a much stronger concentration. The amount of ampro in medicated feed is very slight and not usually enough to keep it at bay, especially in moist climates. Regular antibiotics will do nothing for coccidiosis because it is not a bacteria, but a protozoan. I have had great success with Corid and have quit using Sulmet entirely. Sulmet does not kill one of the types of cocci so if that is the one in your soil, so if that is the one they have, it will only make things worse.

A PhD in poultry science I know says to do a round of Corid, then if you are still having issues, try Sulmet but never to use Sulmet first because of the bleeding issue, however, they need meds quickly and if you can only get Sulmet, do so.

Bleach does not kill the oocycsts that cause cocci. Ammonia will, though.

As far as worming goes, it's rare that chicks that age need worming. It's more likely cocci at that age.

Lime can be tricky--hydrated lime will burn their feet and eyes, but agricultural lime shouldn't.

Quote:
If chicks are on the ground..easy for them to get worms...not sure they have worm, but for sure they could get them. I have had them get worms at that age.......

Back
Top Bottom