EMERGENCY SEVERE BRAIN INJURY

Remember, if the cat can reach into the pen so can a host of other predators.

I really think that you need to rethink the idea of the cat "playing" with the chicken. That is a pretty serious wound to come from "playing". I am afraid what ever grabbed her head was NOT playing.

Keep us updated on her recovery!

There is an avian vet in Littleton too. Still will cost you an arm and a leg. If you want the info I will find it for you.

http://www.littletonanimalhospital.com/

Whoops, I only read the first page of posts. Glad to hear she is doing better. Birds recover more easily than one would expect.

Last edited:
soo i have had it a couple times that my chickens have had holes in their heads. I have just kept them under a heat lamp and was very nuturing to them. You said yours was in excruciating pain. Mine weren't, i think, at least they werent making it known that they were in a lot of pain. Those chickens now are fine and healthy, they just needed to be seperated from the flock for a while, while they healed. Hope that helps

Awesome news! So glad she surprised you! Chickens are troopers! I hope you didnt take my post about her head not being open the brain as sarcastic I was really just trying to narrow things down and to partially calm you.
hugs.gif
Glad she is doing better for you!

I really think that you need to rethink the idea of the cat "playing" with the chicken. That is a pretty serious wound to come from "playing". I am afraid what ever grabbed her head was NOT playing.

He strictly was playing. I free range my flock in the spring and summer with the two cats in the yard. Never had any problems with them killing any birds. If that were to happen they wouldn't be around. He gets excited when I let the birds out and I believe it was an accident. Iw ill keep an eye out for any aggression towards them though.

There is an avian vet in Littleton too. Still will cost you an arm and a leg. If you want the info I will find it for you.

http://www.littletonanimalhospital.com/

Whoops, I only read the first page of posts. Glad to hear she is doing better. Birds recover more easily than one would expect.

soo i have had it a couple times that my chickens have had holes in their heads. I have just kept them under a heat lamp and was very nuturing to them. You said yours was in excruciating pain. Mine weren't, i think, at least they werent making it known that they were in a lot of pain. Those chickens now are fine and healthy, they just needed to be seperated from the flock for a while, while they healed. Hope that helps

I'm so glad she's fine!

Awesome news! So glad she surprised you! Chickens are troopers! I hope you didnt take my post about her head not being open the brain as sarcastic I was really just trying to narrow things down and to partially calm you.
hugs.gif
Glad she is doing better for you!

Thanks everyone!

I would like to send out a big thanks to every one who replied and gave me the help and advice I needed. Thanks for everybody who was thinking of us last night and gave me their best wishes too. I was panicking and would like to apologize for my mistake with the brain or skull injury. I would also like to give an update. After waking up this morning I was a little sad and nervous that I may find her passed away but if that was the case it obviously would have been what is right. Although what i did find was a true miracle. She was up and eating and drinking and after removing her bandage a few minutes ago her wound had already scabbed over nicely. 

And has for how she got her head wound I think I solved that to. This morning i went out to open up the coops and I found the stray cat Tux trying to play with the chickens. Tux is a friendly cat who wasn't trying to kill the chickens she was just trying to paw at them through the fence and that is how I believe she got her head cut. Tux probably swiped her in just the right spot.
Well once again thank you everybody. Very happy that there is BYC and all its members. :)
So glad to hear she recovered! I was very concerned. I'd hate to see anyone lose a bird. They're just like part of the family. I wouldn't put her out into right away, make sure her head is fully healed, as I'm sure you know. As for tux, just make sure you watch him when he plays with the birds. My dog is so friendly with my birds but I still don't trust her fully. I'm sure he didn't mean any harm. Best of luck on her full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom