EMERGENCY! WEIRD RED POOP

Mily79

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2023
Hello, I barely noticed my chicken acting weird she's so quiet and won't move,shes currently inside the house since she sometimes gets lethargic and her vent (my first thread) gets big and the chickens outside hurt her .I saw two poop on the floor that look weird.Shes always hungry and looking for her feeder to rat but not anymore. Could someone please tell me whats happening.
20231011_180043.jpg
20231011_175635.jpg

So sorry your girl is unwell.

How recently did her lethargy start?

You said her vent gets big; could you get a picture of that perhaps?

When is the last time she laid an egg?

You mentioned she has stopped eating; is her crop empty/flat right now? I'd check that now and then again in the morning to make sure it empties properly. In the meantime will she eat something like cooked eggs, and is she drinking much/at all?

I'm not great at poop evaluations so I'll leave that to the more experienced folks, but I'm not immediately concerned with that compared to her body language and other symptoms.

So sorry your girl is unwell.

How recently did her lethargy start?

You said her vent gets big; could you get a picture of that perhaps?

When is the last time she laid an egg?

You mentioned she has stopped eating; is her crop empty/flat right now? I'd check that now and then again in the morning to make sure it empties properly. In the meantime will she eat something like cooked eggs, and is she drinking much/at all?

I'm not great at poop evaluations so I'll leave that to the more experienced folks, but I'm not immediately concerned with that compared to her body language and other symptoms.
Hello,like 3 weeks ago her vent looked swollen,which that also happened 2 moths ago.her crop is full from food she ate earlier today but she currently doesn't want to eat it. She hasn't laid since 2 months ago and Shell less egg.thank you

Is she molting, by chance? If not, that's seems a long time to go without an egg at her age (a bit past 2 years, per the last thread?) and the repeated vent swelling has me guessing that it's a reproductive issue. Since she's had crop issues before definitely keep an eye out for it emptying in the morning, but I'm also thinking you might want to start her on some calcium + D3 in case she's struggling with another soft shell or similar.

I'd probably be trying the calcium plus general supportive care (food, water, warmth, and company with her flock in a protected way so she can't be picked on but also doesn't get lonely). I'm not super experienced so take my advice with a grain of salt...

Definitely let us know if there's any change in her symptoms!

Feel her abdomen between her keel bone and her vent. Is it squishy, hard, feeling full of fluid?

I agree that 2 months no laying for a 2yo hen is concerning and points to reproductive issues. Especially if she also has a history of laying soft shelled eggs.

You can worm her just to be on the safe side if you haven’t already. You can’t see all worms in poop.

Back
Top Bottom