Emergency

augiedranch

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
My 6 month old cochin bantam hen was fine last night. This morning, she is listless, won't eat, sneezing, and sticky liquid comes out of nostrils and mouth when she sneezes. Her mouth is kept open. Her crop seems mushy, the vet is closed on Sunday. What can I do? What is wrong? She is my most favorite hen! She's in the house now in a dog kennel right next to me

Is she kept in moist or drafty conditions at all? Such places are a breeding ground for bacteria and fungus. A mushy crop is indicative of sour crop, a fungal infection. Smell the beak to check for a fowl (no pun intended) smell. If there is a bad smell, one option is to vomit the hen. This isn't the safest method as, if done improperly, can cause the infection to transfer to the lungs, causing pneumonia. Look up sour crop treatments (on a very reputable site) for the best description of how to vomit your hen. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you'll need to take her to the vet as soon as possible. Hope this helps, good luck.

Rain and heaters create humid conditions perfect for fungal growth. I'm willing to bet it's sour crop. Good luck with her.

Anything I can do before the vet appointment tomorrow? I don't want to make her vomit because of the chance of pneumonia. . I'm unsure to start her on antibiotics because if it's fungal, it'll make it worse. I've massaged the crop, but she doesn't seem to like it. I tried to smell her opened mouth and do not smell anything weird.. I've never seen these symptoms before, and I have 50 poultry and nobody else has these symptoms. . At least not yet. I'm so freaking out. . My hubby got her for me when she was a day old right before he left for the Air Force. She helped me through the stress of him being gone, she wears diapers and comes into the house, and is truly a sweet and precious girl. ..

If it is sour crop and there isn't a real foul smell, then the fungal infection must not be that advanced. I'd be interested to know what the vet thinks it is though. Keep us posted on her condition, hopefully its nothing and not too expensive of a visit to the vet.

Quick thought. .. I've been reading posts on this site on sour crop, and a lot of people say once massaging the crop the chicken burps or vomits. I have massaged her crop many times and haven't had this happen. When trying to open her beak again to smell for a bad odor, she had rasping breathing and sneezed a very odd sounding sneeze. (Sticky stuff on my hand and her feathers after sneeze). She then breathed open mouthed for about an hour. She will not eat a thing. Even her normally favorite foods.

Back
Top Bottom