Empordanesa & Penedesenca - Who has them?

I know I'm a late replier to this post but I'm looking for White Empordanesa Fertile Hatching Eggs for sale. Does anyone breed them or have any they're willing to sell? I'm looking to buy some.
smile.png

As far as size goes my Black Pene hens are 5 1/2 pounds + or -. I have yet to see pics of Pene eggs as dark as the darkest Maran eggs, even they vary. IMO I feel that if one is looking for the darkest egg go Maran . The Penedesencas and Empordanesa need people who are willing to go the extra mile to try and preserve the breeds . Not to say you shouldn't add them to a layer flock, they are Terrific layers of lots of Large, Extra Large and Jumbo eggs . I am overloaded with gorgeous Terra Cotta colored Penedesenca eggs.

I haven't had much success trying to get a handle on how many breeders of the various varieties of both breeds there are. I only got 2 responses on the yahoo group. (thanks hangtown)
My concern with all these hatcheries starting to carry them and with so few breeders is that some of the unusual characteristics will be lost.

Briefly we considered Penes or rare Emps, however, decided against putting up w/ their less calm nature because there's no guarantee in the depth of their egg color. Alternately we considered Welsummer for dark eggs but again the depth of color and speckling can disappoint like the Marans we had. We haven't been convinced by any USA dark egg layers yet.

Wish the photos of dark eggs could be trusted on the internet. My camera often exaggerates color depending on lighting etc so I no longer believe the "dark" claims of breeders' photos. You can't always count on incubating only the darkest hatching eggs to get dark egg-laying pullets either. If you are wanting a breed just for dark eggs you can be sadly disappointed when your pullet's first egg is just #3 or #4 on the egg chart and getting lighter as the season continues. However, if you get dark egg layers just to preserve a rare breed than you are to be commended - especially if perfecting a strain for the darkest eggs is not forgotten. The SOP means nothing to consumers if striving for the SOP means the egg color and productivity suffer. It's a LOT of work and wish the dedicated breeders success in their endeavor!

I personally admire the independent Mediterraneans like Leghorns, Penes, Catalanas, Minorcas, Anconas, WFB Spanish, etc, and thought it would be cool to have a mixed Mediterranean flock w/ white, tinted, and chocolate eggs. However, our little backyard just isn't suitable for the freedom-loving, aloof, purebred Mediterraneans - they are just too good at foraging to keep confined! But if you have the space Mediterraneans are still the best in the world as prolific layers IMO.

Back
Top Bottom