Empordanesa & Penedesenca - Who has them?

I am really disappointed today. My part crele Pen. pullet laid her first egg... it is a green egg. Guess we now know who the "other" parent is. Bummer......
It is olive green?

There is an OE thread and I have been promoting Penedesenca x CL crosses.

We had one heck of a wind storm about 2 weeks ago and God thought our PP flock needed a Christmas tree... if only he had picked a smaller version. Hubby has it cut up and dragged into a pile for selling as lumber. Yep... it was a very large Douglas fir. I no longer have a usable chicken coop for them. Thankfully, one horse stall is sufficing until I can make plans and get a new one built. Somehow, the flock of 8 were spared, though the tree came way too close... about 3 more feet and they and their perch would have been history. It also missed the nests. Pretty good for the tree falling diagonally across the coop. All fixtures and chickens are safe and dry for now.

Catching them was fairly easy. They were all still sitting on their roost like nothing had happened. I had on a head lamp that strobes, was grabbing them and stuffing them into dog crates. They didn't move until I got to the last hen. Hubby was trying to help and had a standard flashlight which he was shining on the last hen. She found the new hole towards the yard light and escaped out by running up the trunk of the tree. I hunted for her for 2 days, then she all of a sudden showed up right in front of me inside the damaged chicken coop/house. She is now back with her flock and rooster Ichabod, gave her a welcome back clucking followed by a nice big crow.

I need to get new photos of the "pullets" and Ichabod, whom I bought from MPC. They are looking better as they continue to fill out. Most appear to now be laying eggs. So far, no more olive green ones, but there is one that is a buff, not chocolate.

Last edited:
We had one heck of a wind storm about 2 weeks ago and God thought our PP flock needed a Christmas tree... if only he had picked a smaller version. Hubby has it cut up and dragged into a pile for selling as lumber. Yep... it was a very large Douglas fir. I no longer have a usable chicken coop for them. Thankfully, one horse stall is sufficing until I can make plans and get a new one built. Somehow, the flock of 8 were spared, though the tree came way too close... about 3 more feet and they and their perch would have been history. It also missed the nests. Pretty good for the tree falling diagonally across the coop. All fixtures and chickens are safe and dry for now.

Catching them was fairly easy. They were all still sitting on their roost like nothing had happened. I had on a head lamp that strobes, was grabbing them and stuffing them into dog crates. They didn't move until I got to the last hen. Hubby was trying to help and had a standard flashlight which he was shining on the last hen. She found the new hole towards the yard light and escaped out by running up the trunk of the tree. I hunted for her for 2 days, then she all of a sudden showed up right in front of me inside the damaged chicken coop/house. She is now back with her flock and rooster Ichabod, gave her a welcome back clucking followed by a nice big crow.

I need to get new photos of the "pullets" and Ichabod, whom I bought from MPC. They are looking better as they continue to fill out. Most appear to now be laying eggs. So far, no more olive green ones, but there is one that is a buff, not chocolate.

That is a great story!

Did you hatch them from eggs?

So glad your missing pullet returned. No matter how many chickens you have you always worry about the missing ONE - sort of like the Shepherd that had 100 sheep in his flock but searched for the lonely lost one until it was returned to the fold! Sounds like Ichabod was happy too!

we had some wind here a few weeks back as well. Its been chilly since our rain a few days ago and looks like it will be colder next week.
if it decides it wants to get into the upper teens at night I may lather my roosters combs with Vetrex so far it looks as though our 2 coldest days will be Tuesday and Wednesday with highs in the Upper 30's and lows mid 20's

we had some wind here a few weeks back as well. Its been chilly since our rain a few days ago and looks like it will be colder next week.
if it decides it wants to get into the upper teens at night I may lather my roosters combs with Vetrex so far it looks as though our 2 coldest days will be Tuesday and Wednesday with highs in the Upper 30's and lows mid 20's

I never had roos but had a very floppy-combed White Leghorn hen. I once used vaseline on her huge comb/wattles and the next day when she took a dust bath the dirt stuck horribly to her greasy head feathers and stained them permanent/ugly until her next molt. My vet suggested using vitamin A oil or E oil to rub down a hens wattles, comb, beak, legs, toes, and nails. These are vitamin oils that not only keep the areas protected but also add beneficial vitamins to the chickens' body parts. The vitamin oil absorbs into the skin areas of the chicken so that by morning there isn't the oily greasy residue left on the feathers like petroleum rubs will leave. If some vitamin oil gets on the feathers it won't hurt. On our Silkies I rub the oil not just into their legs/toes/toenails but also into the roots of their feet feathers. I use Spring Valley Skin Oil E 12,000 I.U. from Walmart and the little 2 oz. bottle lasts nearly a year for treating 4 hens. Keep the oil either refrigerated or in a very cool place so it doesn't go rancid. BTW the E oil leaves your hands really smooth after you rub down the hens with it. We do a treatment on our hens' legs/toes/wattles/combs/beak/toenails once a month for the vitamin health benefit as well as scaly leg prevention. We do it after evening roost when the hens are calm and oil absorbs into the skin overnight. The girls love the massages!

I never had roos but had a very floppy-combed White Leghorn hen. I once used vaseline on her huge comb/wattles and the next day when she took a dust bath the dirt stuck horribly to her greasy head feathers and stained them permanent/ugly until her next molt. My vet suggested using vitamin A oil or E oil to rub down a hens wattles, comb, beak, legs, toes, and nails. These are vitamin oils that not only keep the areas protected but also add beneficial vitamins to the chickens' body parts. The vitamin oil absorbs into the skin areas of the chicken so that by morning there isn't the oily greasy residue left on the feathers like petroleum rubs will leave. If some vitamin oil gets on the feathers it won't hurt. On our Silkies I rub the oil not just into their legs/toes/toenails but also into the roots of their feet feathers. I use Spring Valley Skin Oil E 12,000 I.U. from Walmart and the little 2 oz. bottle lasts nearly a year for treating 4 hens. Keep the oil either refrigerated or in a very cool place so it doesn't go rancid. BTW the E oil leaves your hands really smooth after you rub down the hens with it. We do a treatment on our hens' legs/toes/wattles/combs/beak/toenails once a month for the vitamin health benefit as well as scaly leg prevention. We do it after evening roost when the hens are calm and oil absorbs into the skin overnight. The girls love the massages!

Where I live, it rarely gets below 32 all year long. From what I have read about it, combs do not get frostbite unless it gets much colder or there is too much moisture in the coop.

Do not leave water in the coop and make sure there is good ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom