Empordanesa & Penedesenca - Who has them?

They are all so nice looking.

I will be trying Arkansas blue egg layers by Partridge Penedesenca this year.

Would you happen to know what breeds were used to create the Arkansas Blues? I understand they aren't a calm bird. I'm curious because from photos it seems the ABs have bluer eggs than any Ameraucana or Araucana photos I've seen. I have a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana that lays a pastel blue egg but the pastel AB eggs in photos appear slightly bluer in color.

Our reason for choosing an APA Amer over any other blue egg breed is because her temperament is so nurturing in our flock of gentle non-combative breeds -- www.ourflybabies.com has a similar opinion of Amers. Our Amer is not interested in flock politics, chest bumping, or conflicts. She'd rather change direction to forage than waste time vying for pecking status. It makes for a peaceful flock in our backyard situation. Since she has a gentle temperament and is an excellent layer we don't stress her by adding combative breeds to the flock.

Would you happen to know what breeds were used to create the Arkansas Blues? I understand they aren't a calm bird. I'm curious because from photos it seems the ABs have bluer eggs than any Ameraucana or Araucana photos I've seen. I have a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana that lays a pastel blue egg but the pastel AB eggs in photos appear slightly bluer in color.

Our reason for choosing an APA Amer over any other blue egg breed is because her temperament is so nurturing in our flock of gentle non-combative breeds -- www.ourflybabies.com has a similar opinion of Amers. Our Amer is not interested in flock politics, chest bumping, or conflicts. She'd rather change direction to forage than waste time vying for pecking status. It makes for a peaceful flock in our backyard situation. Since she has a gentl temperament and is an excellent layer we don't stress her by adding combative breeds to the flock.

I answered a bit on the Norther CA thread.

They are not mean or aggressive. They do their thing and are very good foragers. I have added other breeds in with them and they did not attack the new ones. They come to me for food and goodies.

Dr. Bramwell and one of his grad students picked up blue egg layers from Whiting Farms, which uses chicken feathers to make fishing lures. The chickens were bread to become a Blue black splash breed. The blue comes from Araucana and the egg laying ability comes for leghorns. I have email verification of this from Mr. Whiting.

I will work on getting a video of them today our in my back yard.

I opened up their pen today to let them out. I will be cleaning it up and adding more sand. The partridge looking pullets with white legs are OEs The pullet with dark legs is a Partridge Pene. Notice that a Pita Pinta invaded their space and they did not go crazy. Two of them also squatted, one for me and one for a Pita Pinta.

I hope this helps!

vimeo_logo.png

I opened up their pen today to let them out. I will be cleaning it up and adding more sand. The partridge looking pullets with white legs are OEs The pullet with dark legs is a Partridge Pene. Notice that a Pita Pinta invaded their space and they did not go crazy. Two of them also squatted, one for me and one for a Pita Pinta.

I hope this helps!

vimeo_logo.png

I answered a bit on the Norther CA thread.

They are not mean or aggressive. They do their thing and are very good foragers. I have added other breeds in with them and they did not attack the new ones. They come to me for food and goodies.

Dr. Bramwell and one of his grad students picked up blue egg layers from Whiting Farms, which uses chicken feathers to make fishing lures. The chickens were bread to become a Blue black splash breed. The blue comes from Araucana and the egg laying ability comes for leghorns. I have email verification of this from Mr. Whiting.

I will work on getting a video of them today our in my back yard.

Your Asturian Painted (Pinta) was invading the ABs space and she was more the aggressor. Looks like the Araucana/Leghorn mix has mellowed the Leghorn's assertiveness in the AB's history - the combs also look downsized. I adore Leghorns but I couldn't mix them in my gentle flock and eventually had to rehome the Legs. Thank you for the video post. Lovely ABs!

Ron, I watched part of your sermon. Don't feel bad, I slept through at least the last 3 NYD ball drops.

ETA
But, I'm 3 times your age.
tongue.gif

Last edited:
Ron, I watched part of your sermon. Don't feel bad, I slept through at least the last 3 NYD ball drops.

ETA
But, I'm 3 times your age.
tongue.gif
I compile the videos for my Church. The Senior pastor is Young--In his thirties. They even had the youth group intern preach one Sunday recently--He is college age. There is one old fellow that preaches every once in a while--he is in his late 70s or early 80s and is the visitation pastor.

I am now old enough to get the Senior discount at Carrows restaurant--Turned 55 on January 8th.

Some mornings I feel that age too....

Back
Top Bottom