Empordanesa & Penedesenca - Who has them?

I compile the videos for my Church. The Senior pastor is Young--In his thirties. They even had the youth group intern preach one Sunday recently--He is college age. There is one old fellow that preaches every once in a while--he is in his late 70s or early 80s and is the visitation pastor.

I am now old enough to get the Senior discount at Carrows restaurant--Turned 55 on January 8th.

Some mornings I feel that age too....
So that young whippersnapper wasn't you?
I thought, no wonder he's so nice and gentle in these hatch-a-longs.
bow.gif

no not now. I sold my Empordanesa but are regretting it. so I am trying to get some eggs back. I do not have Wheaten myself. They seem to be the hardest to find these days it seems like. At least the fewest breeders responded for the website

Hey Jason. I think I figured out a way to do a black egg trade if you're game. A friend of mine will incubate and raise them to 4 months so they can then be blood tested for P/T before I bring them here.

Great. Let me know when they're laying well and how many you want to trade. I like to ship eggs that are 0 - 4 days old.
I just shipped 30 to CA yesterday.
I'm collecting for someone local now. I'm getting from 7-10 a day and someone else starts up every few days.

Last edited:
I found the thread casually on google and im kinda amazed about your curiosity and atention towards the Catalan breeds.

Well, im Catalan. You wanna hear something real sad? You are paying by and large more atention to this beautifull animals than the people around here.

I started breeding hens about two years ago; i read about the subject, the double aplication hens, the regional breeds e.t.c. So i know from the very beginning what kind of hen i was looking for. (im a proud owner of a small herd of BLONDED/WHITE Empordaneses)

My neighbors, friends, and many, many chicken owners around here? They barely know that actually THERE ARE more breeds apart from "Isabrown/rhodeisland/leghorn" Hybrids, so don't even ask them about Catalan breeds! The fact that they live at less than 100km from the main sources of this breeds make it all even more tragic. For example, the Prat hen.The barcelona Airport is called "El Prat" because so does a once little village, now a "suburb" of Barcelona.The prat hen is from that place.I'ts 15 km from Barcelona.Not many people here knows them, so imagine the Penedesencas and the Empordaneses!

So congratulations about the site and many luck on you backyards!

Last edited:
Welcome @Guillem66 . Thanks for chiming in. It is sad. I learned about the Prat when it was the guest breed celebrating the Fira del Gall a few years ago.

With so many great, yet obscure breeds, I cringe when someone asks what breeds they should get and the same 5 or 6 breeds are always recommended.
Though good bird in their own right, enough with the orpington, silkie, Plymouth rock, and sex link recommendations already!!!

You're making @Hangtown Farms jealous with the Blond Empordanesa talk.

After well over 30 breeds, Black Penedesencas are far and away my favorite breed. We're under the impression that what we have in the US is the 'classic' type and not the 'improved' type.
As we understand it, the improved version is heavier and more a true meat bird. The white earlobes and dark egg color has been lost in the improved. Are we correct in our assumption?
Though they're a great bird to have in a flock for various characteristics, I think the uniqueness of the white lobe and extremely dark egg are things that I want to maintain in my birds.

ETA
I visited Barcelona and Tossa de Mar when I was in the army 40 years ago. Would love to come back for Fira del Gall.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom