Empordanesa & Penedesenca - Who has them?

About the improved black Penedesenques i must say first i never owned one, but a closer friend have one. This one in particular does not lay very brown eggs.

I have some info about all the catalan breeds from IRTA, Which is the Catalan Govermental institute who keep most of the breeds from extiction when all the hybrids started to arrive here at the 70's and develop that improved Penedesenca and other improved hens such as the red empordanesa back in the 90's.

They don't clearly specify if the black improved Penedesenca keeps the brown in the eggs, but say that the goal of the improvement was first to raise egg laying(from 150 originally to 180) and also to create a viable chicken for commercial butchering.

All the info is in Catalan, but i have the mail of the institute director who could surely answer this questions better than me! It is okay if i put it here?It is of public use anyway.And he will probably be delicted in doing such.

P.D.

You've been here since then? Im afraid you will find it all a little changed!

Last edited:
About the improved black Penedesenques i must say first i never owned one, but a closer friend have one. This one in particular does not lay very brown eggs.

I have some info about all the catalan breeds from IRTA, Which is the Catalan Govermental institute who keep most of the breeds from extiction when all the hybrids started to arrive here at the 70's and develop that improved Penedesenca and other improved hens such as the red empordanesa back in the 90's.

They don't clearly specify if the black improved Penedesenca keeps the brown in the eggs, but say that the goal of the improvement was first to raise egg laying(from 150 originally to 180) and also to create a viable chicken for commercial butchering.

All the info is in Catalan, but i have the mail of the institute director who could surely answer this questions better than me! It is okay if i put it here?It is of public use anyway.And he will probably be delicted in doing such.

P.D.

You've been here since then? Im afraid you will find it all a little changed!
goodpost.gif

It is so great to have you here posting so well in English too!

I found the thread casually on google and im kinda amazed about your curiosity and atention towards the Catalan breeds.

Well, im Catalan. You wanna hear something real sad? You are paying by and large more atention to this beautifull animals than the people around here.

I started breeding hens about two years ago; i read about the subject, the double aplication hens, the regional breeds e.t.c. So i know from the very beginning what kind of hen i was looking for. (im a proud owner of a small herd of BLONDED/WHITE Empordaneses)

My neighbors, friends, and many, many chicken owners around here? They barely know that actually THERE ARE more breeds apart from "Isabrown/rhodeisland/leghorn" Hybrids, so don't even ask them about Catalan breeds! The fact that they live at less than 100km from the main sources of this breeds make it all even more tragic. For example, the Prat hen.The barcelona Airport is called "El Prat" because so does a once little village, now a "suburb" of Barcelona.The prat hen is from that place.I'ts 15 km from Barcelona.Not many people here knows them, so imagine the Penedesencas and the Empordaneses!

So congratulations about the site and many luck on you backyards!
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you for your kind comments about BYC being interested in saving/breeding the Catalan breeds. BYCers are interested in saving breeds from around the world before all the wonderful breeds disappear within their own countries. There is a growing interest in backyard chickens and specialty breeding in the U.S. that I've never experienced before -- even the city ordinances are slowly allowing small backyards to house a limited number of chickens while this hobby gains momentum. Because we live in a suburban city we are limited to 5 hens and no roosters but I'm grateful for that since many cities will not allow chickens at all! My friend's city allows hens but because the ordinance is strict about how many feet the coop has to be away from any homes she can't keep any -- very frustrating. I don't know why cities are so fussy about chickens since we find chicken poop is much cleaner for the garden than dog or cat poop. Maybe we should build chicken coops 30 feet in the air and then we can keep city chickens.
lau.gif

@Baizer84
I posted a reply on your wanted ad thread.

Are you the person that sent me an e-mail about a week ago? I'm sorry if so because I just saw it this morning when going through old mail.

Back
Top Bottom