Emu chick with twisted leg, help!

Hi!!

One Thing comes first to my mind. In the wild, the chick would die. No question of that. In some captive environments, it would still be at risk -- its fellow emus would kill it.

However, if a bird is a pet, and the 'natural factors' can be practically eliminated, that beloved chick might gimp happily along for twenty years.

In short, in the absence of pain, the reason you put a bird down is because of 'natural' risks.

se

I agree. He will have a secure pen, surrounded on a farm full of chickens and horses, he does not seem to be in any pain and his legs are quite strong. He deserves a chance because he is doing very well.

I'm all for giving it time/ all the care you can but sadly that chick WILL have to be put down, 99.9 % of the time.

Been there, seen it, done it .

Last edited:
Definitely keep him off slippery surfaces, I believe its not from the knee, it seems to be up in the front of his hip. I will let you know this evening what my vet says, he has dealt with Emus before which is a good thing.
good call, could very well be rotation that actually started in the hip area.. I would be prone to agree with you .

Last edited:
Our little one is changing daily.

We noticed last night that it is becoming increasingly difficult for her to stand from sitting position, her legs splay badly now from her good lef leg over-compensating for her twisted right leg. Her area is carpetted so it is not slippery, but she still slips every few minutes; im thinking it is because she is walking differently so even non-slippery areas are now slippery because her foot isnt flat on it.

We did try to hobble her but it only succeeded in making her fall on her face, and we figured that a broken neck would be her next injury if we didn't remove the hobbles.

We are still hoping that she improves, she has come so far.

usually had to put ours down between 3-7 months of age but it did not happen with them until they were after about 2 months old.
The birds of ours it happened to resulted from injuring their hips/legs from when they would get excited and jump , twirl and hit the ground hard on the leg or hip. Also, for some reason or another, most of the time it happens to the left leg.

You can try a vitamin supplement with a good balance of all vitamins and minerals and a hefty dose of the various B's, ( B's are very important for proper growth related matters )
cut down on the protein content in the feed and it may buy you some time but it will only get worse and the bird will not be able to mobilize.
We tried so many things, short of surgery, for was always told surgery is usually very expensive and usually does not work.
Have
known people who have tried it though only to eventually have to put it down.
Once in a blue moon a bird can get around/thrive with a leg like that but not usually.

Last edited:
I just hate that, I am going to see how he does, if he seems to be having more pain or is really suffering I will do the humane thing, I have bonded with this little guy and he is my first Emu. Maybe they just aren't for me, but gosh they sure are interesting to watch and how he has learned to follow my dog around. I have him on a ratite food by Mazuri, collard greens, spinach and carrots daily, he has taken a fondness to the dogs kibble as well.

We did the humane thing and put my Pumbaa down, he would not of had a quality of life and I would only be keeping him for my own selfishness. I have not cried this hard in a long time, he really made his way deep into my heart. RIP my little Pumbaa.

Us too Gaiser Ranch.
I am so sorry for your loss.
I would never have thought to have loved this little one quite so much and definitely share your pain. We will not be getting another emu; we loved little Ducky so much for her short little life and can't imagine doing it all over again.
RIP little Pumbaa & Little Ducky.

Back
Top Bottom