End justifies the means

Drowning animals is illegal in a lot of states. Nuisance or not

I know many states forbid drowning of 'domestic animals' as a form of euthanizing... But, when it comes to trapped nuisance animals most states laws (that I have I read) are silent on any approved or disapproved method of killing the trapped animals once trapped, or say something like 'humanely euthanized' and any interpretation is rarely defined thus the definition is up for grabs as you will find many on both sides of pretty much any euthanization technique including drowning... Also talk to any live long fur trappers, drowning is pretty much the go to way they do it as to not damage the hide and is approved in many states wildlife hunting/trapping regulations for trapped animals and is even schooled in many hunter safety classes when they discuss trapping...

Now of course laws will vary, and in many municipalities there are a slew of laws that can change from town to town, many even forbidding the trapping at all by unlicensed individuals... Heck in many areas around me even BB/pellet guns are illegal to discharge outdoors withing city limits, let along using a real firearm to dispose of a trapped animal...

With three pitbulls and an English bulldog I have never had to worry about predators. They won't let anything on my property. I grew up on a commercial chicken farm and we raised several breeds of dog and never had problems there either. I just keep predators away. Lol only predator I have scene around is a fox that plays with our tiny long haired chihuahua then it just runs off never bothering a thing

I'm not sure I'd let my dog play with a fox, doesn't seem safe to me aha

That's a good place for them. They can no longer breed and create more predators to attack the chickens!

I misread their quote before and didn't catch the subtle hint that they dispatch and bury them. I thought it read predators 6 feet (in length) and under they genuinely relocate, so like a bobcat or coyote but not a lion lol im dumb whoops :lol:

Lol. I trap nightly and I live in city. 4 skunks dispatched. 2 possums relocated and one racoon relocated. Would relocate skunks butya know, not up for stinking. That trap is reloaded everynight. IIt's a nightly chore. But my girls just started laying and skunks got into enclosure eating food and water. Never touched chickens or eggs. I'm not a hunter by any means but holy smokes these poor girls are being overrun. And that's Allen June thru august. Woweee.
How do you trap and kill a skunk without stinking?

Gary, from Idyllwild ca

How do you trap and kill a skunk without stinking?

From everything I have read, a shot through the chest/lungs/heart is the best method that rarely results in a spray... Head shots and other methods from what I have read almost always leads to it spraying...

I have also heard that it's best to cover 3 sides of the trap with a blanket or tarp, so that you can approach the trap from behind and not be seen or sprayed...

i was lucky enough that the skunk I was after was taken care of by a local vehicle before i was able to trap it, but in advance I had picked up some disposable Tyvek body suits, and rubber gloves and some trash bags to cover my boots, figured worst case if I did get sprayed at least I was covered with something I could simply dispose of... The Tyvek suits can be had online for about $5 a pop, cheap insurance...

We've trapped skunks a couple of times, and they didn't spray. Walk to the trap holding a big plastic tarp in front of you, put it over the live trap, and carry it to the burial site. Then move it just far enough off the trap to see the head, and shoot. If it does spry, it will be on the tarp, not you. Never relocate!!! We have horses and cattle, and about a mile of woven wire fencing, with hot tape or rope on top. VERY HOT, and always on. Nobody touches it more than once! Having electric fencing on intermittently encourages critters (and people) to disrespect it, and getting tangled in it is awful. Learn how to set it up, and what sized charger is best for your application, and it will be fine. Mary

I had a neighbor who discovered that skunks were following his cat into his kitchen through the cat door.
He announced that he has solved the problem by placing a have a hart trap at the cat door. I challenged his solution by saying what did he think would happen when he approached the trap in his kitchen when it contained the skunk.
I amended his plan by adding a trash bag to completely surround the trap so the skunk went through the cat door directly into the trap inside the trashbag.

Well he caught the skunk closed the mouth of the bag and brought it to the lake for a swimming lesson.
And his kitchen survived unsprayed.
I got a thank you for my modification to his original solution.

I had a neighbor who discovered that skunks were following his cat into his kitchen through the cat door.

Well he caught the skunk closed the mouth of the bag and brought it to the lake for a swimming lesson.
And his kitchen survived unsprayed.
I got a thank you for my modification to his original solution.
ep.gif
That would be a rude awakening - go in the kitchen to make your morning coffee and find a skunk in there!

Back
Top Bottom