End justifies the means

I guess maybe predators have a better chance of survival and establishing their own territory than other animals but I'd say it's still a risk. Although I don't know if I could kill one. I guess if it wasn't near people it might be different but they can travel a long way and in some places it's apparently illegal

This is something I just cannot get my head wrapped around...not doing everything possible to make sure your chickens are safe....and in my case, ducks too. I have gotten a ton of grief from pretty much everyone all summer long and have been called picky, neurotic and crazy. The teenage neighbor who helped me finish up my duck pen told my daughter, "If anyone wants to know how to build a fortress I will send them to your mom." He thought I went overboard. I have finally figured it out, two things going on here. One, they didn't raise my chickens and ducks so they have nothing invested as far as time, money and emotion. Two, they are really, really underestimating the amount of predators in our area(rural). Badly underestimating. :(

Number two is where I think a lot of people are. Either underestimating or not understanding just how many predators are out there. I always understood it and got it that just as soon as I put my birds out the local wildlife would see it as an open buffet if I didn't protect them. It doesn't make it easier for me that I have neighbors who have the flimsiest of setups and somehow their chickens/ducks survive. I can't take that chance. And won't. That might work for them until the day it doesn't and on that day maybe they won't think I am so neurotic anymore. Not wishing it on them by any means but eventually their birds will pay the price. :(

I still don't have everything done that I want. I also intend to put up some electric fencing. I will win that battle...hubby is concerned our dogs will end up shocked. At the moment I feel like once I lock them up in their houses at night, they are safe. During the day my Pyrs patrol and runs are covered. It's not cheap and it is time consuming to keep tweaking and checking things out. But there is always a way to get it done. This website is a WEALTH of info and doing a search will get you answers on pretty much everything and if not...just ask. I have learned so much here and I do appreciate it.

It's incredible the amounting rural predators. I got chickens and bang. My house in maine doesn't have this many in yard. I think it's the garbage they go after and well fed means breeding. I hear ya all on the relocating. So it's dispatch. Ps. I live behind Cumberland farms. Ya. It's horrific. Neighbors cats and dogs being sprayed and bit up. Not no more. Game on. It's not just my 3 hens but my neighbor lost her rottie, yes a rottie, to a co on attack at dusk.

Without a doubt wildlife and predators are present everywhere, therefore it is not possible to totally eradicate, with that in mind my approach was and remains to if possible teach or redirect their focus. For some just a well fortified coup and pen will only present a new and different challenge, however with the addition of an outside electrified perimeter wire the learning process begins. Resident cats cats and dogs also will quickly learn to avoid the structure. Though unfortunate as it may be to some, please know that most commercially available fence chargers will kill if continually challenged(sustained contact).

Last edited:
It's incredible the amounting rural predators. I got chickens and bang. My house in maine doesn't have this many in yard. I think it's the garbage they go after and well fed means breeding. I hear ya all on the relocating. So it's dispatch. Ps. I live behind Cumberland farms. Ya. It's horrific. Neighbors cats and dogs being sprayed and bit up. Not no more. Game on. It's not just my 3 hens but my neighbor lost her rottie, yes a rottie, to a co on attack at dusk.

Coons attack big dogs like that!? Scary! Was it rabid? And sorry if this too personal but did the coon directly kill it or did it get like an infection from the injuries? Either way that's said.

Unless, wait, it just says co so maybe you mean coyote????

Without a doubt wildlife and predators are present everywhere, therefore it is not possible to totally eradicate, with that in mind my approach was and remains to if possible teach or redirect their focus.  For some just a well fortified coup and pen will only present a new and different challenge, however with the addition of an outside electrified perimeter wire the learning process begins.  Resident cats cats and dogs also will quickly learn to avoid the structure.  Though unfortunate as it may be to some, please know that most commercially available fence chargers will kill if continually challenged(sustained contact).  

I have two Great Pyrenees and I am thinking their fur will protect them somewhat....unless they stick their nose on it. Anyway my intention was to only turn the electric fencing on at night or when we are gone for the day. The dogs are inside at night for now. If they were outside at night they would bark all night. Hubby is fearful of those times that they wake us up and demand to be let out because they are going ballistic. There has always been a reason and we usually just turn them loose. I bought two electric fence chargers and the supplies necessary to string them. One is plug-in electric and I can only use it with ease at the chicken pen. The other is battery operated and I bought it to surround the duck pen. The plug-in one is actually Havahart. It is 1.2 joules. The battery operated one came from the co-op and my 76 year old mother used it around her corn this year. I am thinking it is .5 joules but I can't seem to find that info right now. I am thinking both will create a nasty little shock but no real danger to my dogs. Please correct me if I am wrong. I keep asking questions before I put these up because I have never used electric fencing before. Also I just intended this to be an added layer to my security. When we are home and the dogs are out I don't intend to have the fences on. Ideas or suggestions? :)

I think the little pet fences and things like that are generally lower voltage and less dangerous compared to stringing the higher voltage stuff, which might be what kentucky is talking about. I don't think your thing would kill your dogs

Aside from a secure 5-sided run and a lockable coop, two other things every poultry owner should have is a cage trap and a means to shoot predators caught in the trap.
Which can be a .22 or high power pellet gun.
If you cant bring yourself to shoot them, call someone else to do it. Or call a critter control company and pay them to. BUT NEVER RELOCATE PREDATORS!

Ever since PETA and the bunny huggers killed the fur industry in the US, the number of raccoon, possums and skunks has exploded. In both rural and suburban areas. Its incredible to see how many raccoons there are vs back in the early 1980s when prime pelts brough $25-45 each. But hey, fur coats bad, raccoons good, right??????
Bottom line, If you don't have a means to protect your flock, not matter where you live, sooner or later you will get hit.

I have two Great Pyrenees and I am thinking their fur will protect them somewhat....unless they stick their nose on it. Anyway my intention was to only turn the electric fencing on at night or when we are gone for the day. The dogs are inside at night for now. If they were outside at night they would bark all night. Hubby is fearful of those times that they wake us up and demand to be let out because they are going ballistic. There has always been a reason and we usually just turn them loose. I bought two electric fence chargers and the supplies necessary to string them. One is plug-in electric and I can only use it with ease at the chicken pen. The other is battery operated and I bought it to surround the duck pen. The plug-in one is actually Havahart. It is 1.2 joules. The battery operated one came from the co-op and my 76 year old mother used it around her corn this year. I am thinking it is .5 joules but I can't seem to find that info right now. I am thinking both will create a nasty little shock but no real danger to my dogs. Please correct me if I am wrong. I keep asking questions before I put these up because I have never used electric fencing before. Also I just intended this to be an added layer to my security. When we are home and the dogs are out I don't intend to have the fences on. Ideas or suggestions? :)
Electric fencer will only kill the dog if it gets entangled ,the dog will have ample time to escape ,im very rash ,my dog i hope would be smarter than that, the dog will only get zapped once then you wont get him near a fence.

Back
Top Bottom