English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

I passed up opportunity to take out three. possibly four more dogs. I went up with just Honey that stayed close to me. Four dogs were either in or just outside barn and they were holding their ground so as in very certain targeting range for head shots. Owner was trying to call dogs back and he crossed over to collect them although did not respond to his calls. We began talking where I informed the shooting process has begun and that he must do some about dogs today, as my efforts will get a lot more concerted to take his dogs out and that I will do it with him present. As he got dogs to move back with exception of Pitbull, I told him needs to deal with carcass as well. At first he appeared to think I meant the chickens for which he apologized about. I know telling him how much time and effort was invested in them over than the last decade was futile. I clarified the carcass was his dog. It took a moment I think for that to register so I pointed the dog's location out to him. He was obviously distraught over dog and quickly got down on his knees to determine it status. I stated my chamber is loaded to take out additional dogs then and there with certainty of kills. He must have everything corrected today.

My best hen got away was likely saved by Honey standing her ground very near to where hen was hiding. She is slowly moving to where games are crowing in cockyard. She will be policed up and placed in a short-faced bear proof Fort Knox.

The owner does not appear to be a bad sort. I'm going over to see his setup and see if I have anything that will stop his dogs from getting out.

Last edited:
I just returned from trying to talk to owner (male). Female owner present, but would not answer door despite seeing me through a window as I approached. She was sobbing uncontrollably while on phone. She is clearly seeing this only from her perspective. Dogs also were not evident while I was there. He took them I assume somewhere else. Their dog confinement as best I could see will cost a lot to make dog tight. They simply do not have resources needed to keep so many dogs.

Maybe not bad, but sure enough more than negligent for a long time.
And even more so knowing that you have small kids that might be endagered by his uncontrolled straying dogs out on another one of their many killing sprees.
I'm trying to resolve this by getting people to work better, not by being an arrogant horse's ass.

I'm trying to resolve this by getting people to work better, not by being an arrogant horse's ass.
Protecting your kids and livestock is not being an "arrogant horse's ass", at least not in my book. You have told them many times already and they obviously did not take you or your concerns seriously.
Some people just don't want or are too lazy to live up to their dog keeper responsibilities and the inconveniences that entail.

It is sad that these dogs will have to pay for their owners indifference, but the safety of kids (and even more so in their own yard) is always more important.

And if you can get them to keep the dogs home, that does you more good than if you shoot the current dogs and they just get new ones to run free and cause trouble.

I'm not sure it'll work, but I certainly do see why it is worth trying.

Owner has visitor(s) over that are talking loudly and threatenly. They are doing something with at least one shovel. Statement very clearly that if someone hurts their kid, then someone’s whole family will be killed. They were not talking to us directly. I had my son and dogs quietly walk back from fence to the house. This is a rough bunch.

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom