English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Because as soon as they know your dog's name, the first thing they do is start ordering your dog around to see if it's trained. "Sit, Lassie, Sit! Shake! Shake, Lassie!" Telling strangers your dog's name is like giving them the keys to your car. Why should my dog obey a stranger? It's just rude.
I'm with you on this. They need to respond to their owner/owner's family. Not all strangers can be trusted.

I'm confident Booger is not pure English Shepherd. I saw the dam and putative sire and Booger exhibits traits that are not typical of either parent in terms of coloration and type. I want a male that is larger and closer to what I expect in an English Shepherd. Booger will go only to a good home even if it takes a year or two to find one.

I'm confident Booger is not pure English Shepherd. I saw the dam and putative sire and Booger exhibits traits that are not typical of either parent in terms of coloration and type. I want a male that is larger and closer to what I expect in an English Shepherd. Booger will go only to a good home even if it takes a year or two to find one.
It's your decision. He'll make a good dog for somebody. I do love a tri-color anything myself. He's a handsome boy.

I’m sitting out being a bum watching sheep graze. Booger is taking a break from digging for voles.
C161F53A-440B-4CB2-B78A-065DFAB2E67D.jpeg

He's a very nice looking dog. I'm toying with the idea of getting a farm dog (it sounds silly, but I presently have a farm cat - haha). Too bad you are in Missouri...
Tish Toren (Blacksheep Homestead) is in North East New Mexico, still a long drive but she has great dogs. Right now she has some older pups (late May and early July) that she has been working on stock. I had one from the July litter for about 5 weeks while waiting for his forever home to be ready. (I transport animals and was helping her move pups cross country) An incredible male who we still miss even though he wasn't here long. Good dogs are an incredible asset to farms.

Tish Toren (Blacksheep Homestead) is in North East New Mexico, still a long drive but she has great dogs. Right now she has some older pups (late May and early July) that she has been working on stock. I had one from the July litter for about 5 weeks while waiting for his forever home to be ready. (I transport animals and was helping her move pups cross country) An incredible male who we still miss even though he wasn't here long. Good dogs are an incredible asset to farms.
NE NM? Farmington area?

So tempting! I'm planning to wait until summer when I will have lots of time to work with the dog. I will keep that in mind. I've been looking at local breeders who say their dogs are from established working lines, but word-of-mouth from actual "farm dog people" is more valuable, by far.

An American Dominque cock decided to fight with a game stag this morning. Honey and Peanut decided no fighting, so Honey kept holding the cock down with her mouth while Peanut picked up stag and carried to other side of yard where she dispatched him. The rest of free-range chickens just looked on paying no attention. I have to make certain dogs are exposed to fighting chickens more often, so they get picture that it is not ok to attack them when otherwise it is not.

Back
Top Bottom