English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Pics
Ben showing signs of heat stress even though temperature only in low 90's. I groom him a lot to thin under coat but man he is hairy.

20170614_163659.jpg

Lucy the German Pointer was also heat stressed until today. She got a shave. This third year for such treatment. Despite such her coat recovers with proper outer coat by late fall.
20170614_163604.jpg

Ben gets through fence differently than most dogs. He touches it freely while crossing without getting zapped. He times crossing to go between pulses. Took a lot of watching to see how he does it.

Last edited:
Ben showing signs of heat stress even though temperature only in low 90's. I groom him a lot to thin under coat but man he is hairy.

View attachment 1042830

Lucy the German Pointer was also heat stressed until today. She got a shave. This third year for such treatment. Despite such her coat recovers with proper outer coat by late fall.
View attachment 1042831

Ben gets through fence differently than most dogs. He touches it freely while crossing without getting zapped. He times crossing to go between pulses. Took a lot of watching to see how he does it.

Does Ben appear to hear the 'pulse' or is he feeling for it with his whiskers?
We had a horse that would touch it's chin whiskers to the fence to see how hot it was before going thru the strands. :he
Scott

Shade, cool location to lay down with breeze where ground itself is cool. Reduced activity during heat of day. No excessive horseplay. At some point we may employ a fan in the barn but I do not want dogs in barn as that obstructs their "radar".

LGD's at work largely shut down during heat of day which not to bad when grazers concentrate activities around shade trees.

I think there is a bit too much emphasis on the coat regarding heat tolerance in dogs. Yes, brush out all the old loose hair, but otherwise a bigger coat shouldn't be such a problem. With sheep, people make sure their coat isn't too short when it gets hot, because they handle the heat better then.
At ninety degrees we all get hot, especially at the beginning of summer when we are not yet used to it. At some point it doesn't matter how few clothes you are wearing, even naked is too hot!
For us (with temperatures in the 90s most summer and sometimes in the low 100s) planning activities for early morning, then shade and water to splash in seem to work best. Maybe you could get him a kiddie pool to lie in? Or a sand pit that you hose down from time to time to keep it nice and cool? Hosing down just the legs and belly works wonders for Bennie.

Last edited:
Last three four days have been tough. Early Sunday strong storm hit with lots of lightening making so whole family retreated to safe room for a bit. Dogs cowered in garage. Fence indicator was off so I went out to fix. Checking barn saw what I though where two intermediate sized raccoons. Raccoons returned twice more that night. Dogs tried to help but only Lucy new my strategy. She came close to munching a but on third visit. Having no proper weapon with first visit, I punched one with light causing all to flee to NW where problematic critters come from that dog have a hard time with. Next night I set three live traps catching one raccoon. Following night caught nothing but the did visit. Third caught what thought was one that was dispatched by dogs. Later found a second in another trap that was also dispatched. These events where first I saw Ben actually take on raccoons. He has a lot to learn so he does not get bit. Much smaller Lucy was as to be expected much more effective. On last raccoon they had help from neighbors dog. She and Lucy consumed much of the carcass today. Next time I will hold Lucy back so Ben can take his time and attack without getting bit. First he must understand that biting butt is not best option even though teeth are on the other end.

Last three four days have been tough. Early Sunday strong storm hit with lots of lightening making so whole family retreated to safe room for a bit. Dogs cowered in garage. Fence indicator was off so I went out to fix. Checking barn saw what I though where two intermediate sized raccoons. Raccoons returned twice more that night. Dogs tried to help but only Lucy new my strategy. She came close to munching a but on third visit. Having no proper weapon with first visit, I punched one with light causing all to flee to NW where problematic critters come from that dog have a hard time with. Next night I set three live traps catching one raccoon. Following night caught nothing but the did visit. Third caught what thought was one that was dispatched by dogs. Later found a second in another trap that was also dispatched. These events where first I saw Ben actually take on raccoons. He has a lot to learn so he does not get bit. Much smaller Lucy was as to be expected much more effective. On last raccoon they had help from neighbors dog. She and Lucy consumed much of the carcass today. Next time I will hold Lucy back so Ben can take his time and attack without getting bit. First he must understand that biting butt is not best option even though teeth are on the other end.

Coon's are a problem here also, I make do with several live traps and so far I am staying even with them.
I hope that Ben is a quick study, raccoons can be nasty.
Good luck!
Scott

How do you alleviate the dogs' heat stress...other than the brushing/shaving?

I have tried for decades to educate people that the dogs with double coats should never be shaved ... it breaks down the guard coat it is used to guard heat and cold putting ice booties will do more or walk them in tub of ice that is how a dog sweats panting and feet..
double coats protect from heat and cold learn how to brush undercoat out there is such a tool known as a hauptner cuts time and energy have 20 minutes sessions over a week or two.... the hair and dogs will thank you

Back
Top Bottom