English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Pics
Neighbor's female pit bull came to edge of our yard today. She got her butt beat pretty good. but I think she will risk coming back. She is not a risk to chickens as far as I can tell. but she is not friendly towards people. Lucy and Bella did all the fighting while Ben was just wanting to stand over the battle. He may have Ben moderating the interaction. I think the pit bull is coming into heat and Ben,........ well he is Ben. My preference is the pit bull not visit and she became as concerned about me as the dogs once she saw me.

Also began contacting breeders about getting a female English Shephard pup. Will be setting up for a couple nannies and ewes to break pup with and help manage poultry area as fence is expanded. Ben and Bella should be easy to train up on leaving the stock alone. Lucy will be the challenge unless I make her live with them for a bit.

A reason for having at least two dogs on duty again demonstrated. The female part of team, Lucy the German Pointer, was bitten by a roughly 40" Osage Copperhead.
20180521_205454[1].jpg
tmp_28889-20180521_193042182627295.jpg
tmp_28889-20180521_1929101809944956.jpg

I will be Ben's backup at night for next few days.

Sorry to hear, hope she is feeling better soon.

I prefer having a pair also, Mindy and Dillon have a pretty good partnership worked out when going after varmits. She is usually the one to finish them off, he keeps them distracted while she positions for the final grab. She is nearly 9 now, so time to start considering a pup in the next year or two for her to train.

Looks like we are already on the upswing. Lucy went out on porch to survey her realm, possibly contemplating a re-match knowing her. Swelling gone down a bit. This is at least second copperhead bite.

Lucy is 6 years old yet and showing signs of slowing down. She has good killing ability for a few more years but speed and endurance needed for Red Fox and Coyote are waning. I am already looking for an English Shepherd pup to back her up. We have a neighbors dog (LGD cross) that provides Lucy and Ben backup, but age is hitting that dog even harder. I am having trouble getting call backs in my efforts to find a pup.

Looks like we are already on the upswing. Lucy went out on porch to survey her realm, possibly contemplating a re-match knowing her. Swelling gone down a bit. This is at least second copperhead bite.

Lucy is 6 years old yet and showing signs of slowing down. She has good killing ability for a few more years but speed and endurance needed for Red Fox and Coyote are waning. I am already looking for an English Shepherd pup to back her up. We have a neighbors dog (LGD cross) that provides Lucy and Ben backup, but age is hitting that dog even harder. I am having trouble getting call backs in my efforts to find a pup.

Please keep us informed of where you are looking and what you are finding out. After a miserable year of being English Shepherdless (and losing a few more chickens than when we had him.) I am starting the search and making lists. Since I can't have my dog back I want something similar with a few tweaks, but I want it all in that ES package.

Back
Top Bottom