English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Pics
Best way to train her is to keep her with you so she can watch and see what needs doing, what the rules are, and strongly bond to you. When she is ready she will offer to do some of the work/order keeping she saw is being done by you and other dogs. Make sure she doesn’t primarily bond to the other dogs, you’ll want her to bond to you, then she’ll work to please you. That’s how ES tick...

Oh, and she’s a cutie!
Also: if you want a brave dog make a
sure you keep her safe while she’s still little, you don’t want her getting scared by lifestock, predators,... Always show her that you have her back!

She comes around when taken outside. I am alternating working her and female German Pointer so they do not feed off each other to distraction. Pup also readily switching back and forth between my wife and I as we walk or do chores in separate areas. Chickens very scared of bumbling pup while adult German Pointer only a concern when she moves faster than a slow walk. Pup has not engaged adults in play yet. We have a Raccoon to catch will be keeping pup back for this evening as traps are set and German Pointer is prepped for making kill. Pup will not be allowed to sniff a kill until a few months old and will be about a year before I allow interaction with small live predators. Full two years will pass before I expect much activity with respect to cannids.

Best way to train her is to keep her with you so she can watch and see what needs doing, what the rules are, and strongly bond to you. When she is ready she will offer to do some of the work/order keeping she saw is being done by you and other dogs. Make sure she doesn’t primarily bond to the other dogs, you’ll want her to bond to you, then she’ll work to please you. That’s how ES tick...
Thus far her puppy type interactions appear focused on me. She barks at the adults when they move fast through her field of view.

Roll call. Clockwise starting at 3; Ben the adult male ES, Hun the female pup ES, Lucy the adult female German Pointer, and Bella the adult female LGD x something. Bella is scared of being photographed.

20180715_084925.jpg

On return from camping trip where we toured a fish farm and Cackle Hatchery. Hun had to stay in truck. Hun fell into raceways at farm multiple times to swim with some Rainbow Trout that were easily 10 lbs. I had to run down reach to fish her out as she went under bridge. Hun was following me as we went after crayfish above Bull Shoals. She likes water.
20180715_075258.jpg

Roll call. Clockwise starting at 3; Ben the adult male ES, Hun the female pup ES, Lucy the adult female German Pointer, and Bella the adult female LGD x something. Bella is scared of being photographed.

View attachment 1468943

On return from camping trip where we toured a fish farm and Cackle Hatchery. Hun had to stay in truck. Hun fell into raceways at farm multiple times to swim with some Rainbow Trout that were easily 10 lbs. I had to run down reach to fish her out as she went under bridge. Hun was following me as we went after crayfish above Bull Shoals. She likes water.
View attachment 1468935

Awww she's adorable!

Back
Top Bottom