English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Those can be pretty skiddish. Hopefully they settle in quickly.
The guy I bought them from used a lasso to catch them. The sheep tried to dodge his rope.

I'm pretty close to a novice with sheep. I have held them while fecal samples were taken and when they were scanned for fetal development. Both settings had sheep confined to shoots.

The guy I bought them from used a lasso to catch them. The sheep tried to dodge his rope.

I'm pretty close to a novice with sheep. I have held them while fecal samples were taken and when they were scanned for fetal development. Both settings had sheep confined to shoots.
I was actually thinking of Barbados sheep instead of Katahin. So hopefully they are more manageable than I was imagining. My sheep experience is with bottle raising a few Suffolk, and Dorset back in the day. I went with goats only eventually.

I was actually thinking of Barbados sheep instead of Katahin. So hopefully they are more manageable than I was imagining. My sheep experience is with bottle raising a few Suffolk, and Dorset back in the day. I went with goats only eventually.
I thought about sheep only for a while. Brush management though was going to be more fun using goats.

Yeah, goats are browsers and eat more at head height, eating habits are closer to deer. Sheep will scour the earth grazing. I have always been surprised that 2 species that look very similar - goats and sheep - can be so very different in feeding and handling. Not to upset the sheep fans but goats are way smarter, all sheep in a herd appear to share one brain. I seem to have spent a lot of time trying to keep individual sheep and goats from trying to kill themselves in new and exciting ways. (I worked as a shepherd in CO in the 80's and have had my own herd of goats here in Louisiana for 30 years.)

I'm all about trophic niches in pastured production animals. Bigger concerns for me is keeping sustainable browse and controlling impacts of word burden ideally without use of dewormers. There will be a lot of pasture rotation and intensive bouts of grazing to get animals on and off a given piece of ground quickly.

I run a mostly closed herd and worm rarely (by fecal checks). My goats are currently eating a lot of bamboo, I haven't started haying yet. My biggest challenge is minerals, especially copper and selenium. Best wishes on your herd-building and I enjoy reading your threads!

Back
Top Bottom