English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

This is the sire of my new girl. I can honestly say he was one of the nicest dogs I have ever met. I transferred him to a new home a couple hours north of St Louis last month. He is still intact if you are looking for a match. I can help with making contacts if you are interested.
20211216_171620.jpg
20211216_171614.jpg

His daughter, my new girl, Jenibelle...
20211216_170655.jpg

I'm having a blast watching my sheep and goat eat. Both very different from each other and the hogs, cattle and horses I'm far more familiar with. They also have some habits not unlike chickens when it comes to dealing with cold and wind. The goat in particular has locations it returns to when not feeding. The sheep seem to move around a lot more. The last two days the chickens quit getting close to paddock where they can access spilt grain and hay. Chickens are for short-term tightening their ranging habits until they acclimate to cold and get hungry enough.

Honey, and possibly Pup Pup, has resumed taking bones and other edibles up to barn and placing them next to pen holding Bandit. They are provisioning him like Honey did for her pups after they were weaned. All the dogs now want to have pup out so they can interact with him. I will snatch a dead squirrel off road and lay it by chicken pens near house to see if it magically appears in barn later. Pup Pup and Flo learned how to grab for such prizes with their feet in a manner they still use to steal eggs laid on ground from game hen pens.

The pup is really calming down around the chickens. Working with one pup is so much easier! The pup really gets into it with prolonged battles against Honey and Pup Pup. He is getting better at defending himself too. He still barks at sheep and goat. He already knows when time to return to pen. He does not know whether to follow Pup Pup interested in internal pack issues or Flo interested in external issues like patrolling territory and hunting.

Back
Top Bottom