Sponsored Post Enjoy free range chicken without the worry of night time predators with the new Brinsea ChickSafe au

I keep reading about chickens coming the coop at dark. My girls found a tree limb they really like and roost on it every night. They won't come in. It doesn't do any good to have an automatic door if it closes them all out because they like a tree branch better. I have to go out and pick up each one off the limb and put them in the coop at night. There is no chasing or 'back talk' from them. They just like staying outside. 

Thoughts?

I'm told some breeds of chickens really like to roost in trees. The breeds I have are very domesticated and have always hopped back into the coop and worked out roosting arrangements amongst themselves come sunset. I just walk out to close the door at about 8:30. They're just over 2 months old. Now, when I first finished the coop, I left them in there for a couple days at a time. I think they really got it into their heads that that's home. Also they really like their roosts. They're 2x4s, wide-ways, 2 ft off the bottom of the roost, which is 4 ft off the ground. I would figure out what it is they like about the tree branch, maybe cut a branch off, and mount that inside your coop. And make them get used to it. Lots of threads on here about roosts and returning the coop at night.

So when you say mix and match, can it be programed to open a by the clock in the A.M. and by the light in the P.M.?

I don't want my birds loose too early in the morning.
I have my chickenguard set as you describe.This appears to be made by chickenguard just a different labeling.I too don't want my birds out too early.[We are close to neighbours]

Clubhouse Coop is what kind of coop I am interested in. I don't have any chickens yet, but I like the golden wyndotte.

Last edited:
I installed the chickensafe system on my coop. I absolutely love it. Works like a charm. At dusk it closes and when I get up in the morning the girls are already out in the run having a great time.

I've been trying to visualize the mechanism for the ChickSafe door opener. Looking at the Brinsea website and other images on the web doesn't show me how it connects to the door. The manual makes it sound like it is just a wire/string that the opener winds up to open and unwinds to close. Is that correct? What's to keep a clever predator (weasel or something like that) from lifting the door to get in?

Can any of those who have one installed share photos of theirs in the open/closed position (or specifically of the attachment to the door) for better visuals?

Thanks!

Hopefully I can post a pic ...

Hmm no lock to keep raccoons from prying up on the door, idk about that one, I guess it's better than not shutting the door at night but could see a critter figuring that out
We don't have Racoons thankfully. My door is very heavy and thick.Around 5-6 lbs .Could a racoon lift that much? You could also put a lip in front of the door to make it harder.

Back
Top Bottom